Author Topic: Hunter x Hunter !  (Read 242207 times)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,562,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
Re: Hunter x Hunter !
« Reply #2010 on: September 29, 2017, 10:57:50 AM »
Ok, will do. It's not a problem since I want to write out what I find anyway, all I need is to copypaste it here. I'll probably not be doing much for the forseeable future as I don't have much time for now and it's quite some effort to translate - the book has little in the way of furigana so when I run in to an unfamiliar kanji I have to look it up the old-fashioned way which is sometimes rather time consuming. In any case when I do have time later this year, I'll post my findings here.

For now I've just translated the contents page so I know roughly what is in there and where to find it. I've also skimmed the most interesting pages - those on Nen - and for now it looks like there is no justification for the "1%" claim I was discussing a page or two back in this thread. My stance on this is subject to change later with a more careful reading.

The other thing I'll note is that while we've mentioned in this thread the HxH Wikia page on Nen at http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Nen, there is also a wikia at http://hxh.wikia.com/wiki/Nen. This second one looks like it much more closely resembles the databook. For one thing it has all the same pictures. It seems to generally match the overall content and structure, too. It might even be someone's translation of that section. This would be disappointing as it could mean there is little or no new stuff.

One thing I did learn that I haven't seen an English fan page discuss is regarding the Hunter Alphabet. While I'm sure everyone sufficiently interested in HxH has seen tables converting Japanese sounds to Hunter Alphabet symbols like this one before, the databook explains in a bit greater detail how the Hunter Language should be written (because it is apparently used in a few places later in the book and it should be fun to learn).

It confirms that a couple of things work the same as in Japanese - for example palatalised sounds and geminate consonants (Yes, the databook uses these terms. Fucking Togashi.) such as ょ and っ respectively are still written at half the size of other symbols as in normal Hiragana Japanese. This I had seen used in the manga and anime, so was not a surprise. Similarly, punctuation is not used (this I hadn't explicitly noticed but probably is evident enough), and instead, an empty space the width of one symbol separates sentences and stuff. Also numbers are written with Arabic Numerals.

But, what I hadn't noticed is that, like Japanese, you can write Hunter Language vertically or horizontally, and unlike Japanese the rules for where to place dakuten ( ゙ ) and handakuten ( ゚)  marks change depending on this (these are used to indicate voicing of a consonant, e.g. changing a k sounds to a g sound). In normal Japanese, one places dakuten on the top right corner of the symbol - compare か and が - but in Hunter Language they go either on the bottom right or bottom left, when you are writing horizontally or vertically, respectively.

Writing "Gon" horizontally and vertically, for comparison, it should look like this if I'm understanding it correctly:

That said, I skimmed through the databook and my Japanese copy of Volume 33, and didn't immediately find any examples of vertically-written Hunter Language (lots of horizontal) to see if Togashi actually follows this rule ever and confirm this understanding. If anyone comes across an example of any vertically-written Hunter Language (preferably in manga for best authenticity but if the anime did it then that's useful too, possibly), I'd like to know.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,562,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
Re: Hunter x Hunter !
« Reply #2011 on: November 29, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
Word on the street is that HxH is back in Jan 29 issue of Jump. Togashi keeps his promise to return before the end of the "year" if you interpret that as "chinese lunar year".