Author Topic: Yibis' quality certified Youtube cinematics fine selection  (Read 717464 times)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,562,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
Ok, thanks. Some comments on at least the top 10, then

1 - FMAB

Well, yeah, to be honest. If I had to pick a #1 I'd probably pick this too.

*stuff I don't know in 2+3*

4 - Death Note

Ok, predictable. Sure, it was good. Top 5 though? No. If we forget all the Near stuff, maybe top 10.

5 - ətˈæk 0N tάɪtn

Just no. It should possibly be somewhere on this list - more to credit it for its wide reach than its critical quality - but nowhere near this high unless we weigh purely on hype/popularity.

6 - S;G

Sure. This could even be a little higher IMO.

7 - One Piece

Despite being one of the most active posters on a major OP fan site, I have to disagree with this. The manga -  sure. But this is an anime ranking. Probably should still make the list because beyond the flaws it does have some amazing parts.

8 - Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Hmmmmm. While this was somewhat good, I'd once again struggle to put it this high. If we're going with pure emotional force (for those who like walls of crying in their anime - not me, but obviously some people like the appeal of these shows), then it loses to other things in its own class like Clannad A;S. Hell, my MAL tag here is "Clannad with classical music instead of teenage pregnancy."

9 - Code Geass

Another fair entry - possibly more for popularity than overall quality like AoT, but it definitely had its good points making it somewhat worthy of a high-ish placing.

10 - One Punch Man

Again, no surprises here. Sailing more on hype, I'd say, but I'd also definitely not exclude it from the list.

HxH beating HxH 2011 may as you guys say be more about the mis-labelling. But also some hardcore fans of the original automatically hated 2011 because of Hisoka doing something to a guy's arms and something something - it's sometimes argued that the beginning arcs of 2011 are done worse than the first anime.

Some entries on there are just nonsense. Fairy Fail was already pointed out. Naruto, Noragami, Soul Eater, Mirai Nikki, Shokugeki, Anohana, Ao no Exorcist, Bungou Stray Dogs, Another, Owari no Seraph, Hitman Reborn and Log Horizon, I would also say are nowhere near top-100. As well as a few other more borderline cases or ones I didn't notice or haven't seen.

Rating movies on the same list as series is a bit bullshit too, as the reasons for each being good are often different. We may as well compare apples and oranges. Two lists would help make more sense of some things.

There are also a handful of underrated pieces IMO : HxH, Shinsekai Yori, Monster, Mushishi, Higurashi and Hellsing, for example. I didn't see any Gundam, Rose of Versailles, Eureka Seven, Nana, Seirei no Moribito, Ashita no Joe, Rainbow, Katanagatari, Youjouhan Shinwa Taikei, Thermae Romae, Zetsuen no Tempest, Blood+, Gankutsuou, Utena, GTO, DMC, Michiko to Hatchin, Kemono no Souja Erin, and many others which are easy top-100s according to me. Maybe I missed a few as well, but generally loads of less-known but quality shows are nowhere to be seen. And most of all where is Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Where is Rakugo? I'd have both of those last two in the top 10 if not top 5.

Yeah, this kind of list is way too influenced by popularity since the only variable that matters is absolute number of votes. A show which everyone agrees is a masterpiece but has only been seen by 1000 people will always lose to something rightly polarising or average-but-overrated with a million viewers. Really, as well as suggestions like

I feel like in order to get something even remotely resembling an objective list one would have to do a poll like this yearly, combine the results from each year... and go at it for at least a decade to see what actually stands the test of time.

you'd also have to disambiguate between sequels/etc, and somehow account for popularity. Maybe MAL statistics on viewership alone are useable, even if the scores are garbage. Maybe instead of just submitting a few names as the absolute best, people should also submit some "most overrated" suggestions to factor in polarising shows and reduce scores for popular shows that most more-experienced anime watchers would not consider top-5 material. Not sure how to do this kind of thing fairly, but if we were to try and make a better list then there would have to be more restrictions and rules in place, which will make participation plummet. Also should someone who has only seen 5 anime get to vote? Their top 5 is obvious. Shouldn't someone who has seen hundreds of anime and has thoughtfully picked the best of a large sample have more influence than someone who's only seen 20 of the most popular anime, still thinks that Bleach is a masterpiece, has never even heard of 90% of the things I listed above, and just picks the 5 most memorable, shocking or hyped shows?

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,879,000,000 -
  • Respect: +559
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
*stuff I don't know in 2+3*

Seriously? My Hero Academia is good, pretty amazing for a shounen anime in fact. We're near if not past HXH 2011 levels of production values on a story that is not quite as good but is still pretty good. So it deserves a good spot but it certainly is that high because of its current status of airing anime (well, technically Season 2 ended, like, last week). Though interesting note: apparently recently My Hero Academia is selling very well in the US, passing in fact several issues of Marvel and DC comics. Which as far as superheroes go is a big fucking deal.

Your Name I haven't seen yet but it was super-hyped and it's gotten an usually big distribution in cinemas in the west so it was a bit of an obvious choice. It benefited, I'd say from being the first anime movie to be distributed at almost the same time as it was in Japan and on such a big scale. The cinema equivalent of simulcast.

Also if we are to consider all aspects of a show - including their ability to sway and become popular with newcomers to anime - then Naruto definitely belongs in any top 100, Anohana too (sigh) and Soul Eater I'd give it a pass as well (this may be my bias talking tho'). Tastes mature and after a certain age naive shonen might feel groan-worthy, but that doesn't change the fact that for the kind of public it was made for to begin with, Naruto's good parts are pretty good. By "good parts" meaning: mostly pre-Shippuuden, and without including the fillers, of course. Also it had nice production values back then (dunno about the recent stuff).

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,731,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
Seriously? My Hero Academia is good, pretty amazing for a shounen anime in fact. We're near if not past HXH 2011 levels of production values on a story that is not quite as good but is still pretty good. So it deserves a good spot but it certainly is that high because of its current status of airing anime (well, technically Season 2 ended, like, last week). Though interesting note: apparently recently My Hero Academia is selling very well in the US, passing in fact several issues of Marvel and DC comics. Which as far as superheroes go is a big fucking deal.

Your Name I haven't seen yet but it was super-hyped and it's gotten an usually big distribution in cinemas in the west so it was a bit of an obvious choice. It benefited, I'd say from being the first anime movie to be distributed at almost the same time as it was in Japan and on such a big scale. The cinema equivalent of simulcast.

Also if we are to consider all aspects of a show - including their ability to sway and become popular with newcomers to anime - then Naruto definitely belongs in any top 100, Anohana too (sigh) and Soul Eater I'd give it a pass as well (this may be my bias talking tho'). Tastes mature and after a certain age naive shonen might feel groan-worthy, but that doesn't change the fact that for the kind of public it was made for to begin with, Naruto's good parts are pretty good. By "good parts" meaning: mostly pre-Shippuuden, and without including the fillers, of course. Also it had nice production values back then (dunno about the recent stuff).
Well it's not THAT surprising MHA is selling well, it's similar in theme to othe superhero comics except it's not stale as fuck.
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
With how many times it gets mentioned I possibly should find time for it, but I think I mentioned the other day that I've already got more anime that I want to watch than time in which to watch it, so my backlog is years-long already. From what I've seen of it, I also have some reservations; it looks like it would be hard to get in to (essentially because I find the overall setting and character designs unappealing enough to be off-putting) and the sheer amount of hype usually means that I'm going to be disappointed anyway. This doesn't mean I'll never watch it, probably, so much as I'm not strongly motivated enough to move it up the backlog. The comparisons to western comics isn't helping either since I don't read those in the first place  :face-tongue

And Makoto Shinkai Is Not My Name, I think, just got too much publicity for me, and really killed any desire I'd ever have to watch it. I wrote about this already at some point too. I don't watch many movies anyway (anime or otherwise) and when I do, I enjoy them a lot less than longer-form entertainment. This one I'll probably not see, or if I do it will be on an unpredictable whim or because someone else wants to watch it with me.

And what you say about the popularity with newcomers is true. Maybe it should be a different category, because it's not the same as "best anime"; more generally speaking than just for anime or entertainment even, the most accessible and introductory elements of anything are typically not the objectively or critically "best" representatives of its kind. What about two lists - "Top Anime you'd recommend to a friend new to it" and "Top Anime you'd recommend to a veteran (who for some reason has not already seen it)". This would maybe split the Narutos from the Galactic Heroes of the world, but also have some overlap on things that are both accessible and undeniably good.

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
Or more like "best anime for each specific time of your life", but then again, keep splitting the lists, and you end up with one per person... which kinda shows why such lists have to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway. I'm okay with having a single list and knowing a proportion of it will be determined by people with radically different outlooks from mine. And even from my point of view, I have to admit stuff like Naruto left a mark and shaped my taste.

I'll tell you whether you're making a mistake with Your Name when I get to see it (so basically when the Blu Ray is out). Re: MHA, well, if you're already busy it's probably not your first choice, but I don't think it's hard to get into - right now it's got, like, 36 episodes. About the character designs, really? I think the protagonists' designs are pretty cool. The villains are another story, some I find have gotten pretty bad by trying to be creepy or scary, but it's not the worst flaw to have.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,704,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
I'll tell you whether you're making a mistake with Your Name when I get to see it (so basically when the Blu Ray is out).
Unless you're specifically talking about buying the movie for yourself... the BD is already out in Japan. I mean I posted a link to a BD-rip of it just a few posts ago. And while it's true what you say about its popularity surely being helped by how widely publicized it was and how it got shown in the US almost immediately after its Japanese release, I should point out that it was stupidly popular in Japan too. Like, if I don't remember it wrong, it's the second highest-grossing anime of all time in Japan (second only to Spirited Away), and the highest-grossing period in the rest of the world. Or was it the other way around? I think it was like that anyway, because I seem to specifically remember finding the "So it beat Spirited Away outside of Japan but not in Japan?" thing weird. And personally, despite finding it a phenomenal movie, I'm not 100% sure what it was about it that caused it to be so mind-bogglingly successful. I mean, it's undeniably a gorgeously animated movie, but if that was all, then not only should Shinkai's entire filmography have attained similar levels of success, but it would probably have seen fierce competition from A Silent Voice which came out around the same time... and was also based off a popular manga and directed by Naoko Yamada, director of the obscenely popular K-On!. But no, while A Silent Voice was indeed a huge hit in its own right, apparently being the highest-grossing movie KyoAni has put out... Your Name utterly destroyed it at the box office. I think this picture sums it up nicely...

...Well, I guess it could just be the fact that it's got a certain near-universal appeal to it. I can think of very few people who wouldn't find something or another to enjoy in Your Name.

And what you say about the popularity with newcomers is true. Maybe it should be a different category, because it's not the same as "best anime"; more generally speaking than just for anime or entertainment even, the most accessible and introductory elements of anything are typically not the objectively or critically "best" representatives of its kind. What about two lists - "Top Anime you'd recommend to a friend new to it" and "Top Anime you'd recommend to a veteran (who for some reason has not already seen it)". This would maybe split the Narutos from the Galactic Heroes of the world, but also have some overlap on things that are both accessible and undeniably good.
That's asking an awful lot from your average anime watcher though. The whole idea behind the poll that this list was based off was to get as wide a sampling size as possible, to truly work out what the western anime community considers the best anime out there. Sure, you end up with a lot of flavor-of-the-week shows and basically every single "gateway" anime is guaranteed to be on there because most people end up feeling a strong attachment to the shows that got them into anime regardless of whether it's really deserved or not (one of the main reasons why Sword Art Online utterly refuses to die), but asking that people go super in-depth about what shows they love, why they love them, who they'd recommend them to, what they consider overrated and what they outright hate etc etc... Well congratulations, you've effectively turned off 95% of the people who otherwise would have voted because that would just be far too much of a hassle.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:23:27 PM by Lord Starfish »
This sure is a signature.

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
Unless you're specifically talking about buying the movie for yourself...

Which I am. Probably going to get it shipped together with 'A Silent Voice' too. Would like to get BDs of both but am not 100% sure yet since I think my only Blu Ray player is the one I have in my desktop computer. I need to check my hardware specs.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
Which I am. Probably going to get it shipped together with 'A Silent Voice' too. Would like to get BDs of both but am not 100% sure yet since I think my only Blu Ray player is the one I have in my desktop computer. I need to check my hardware specs.
Both of those movies very much deserve to be seen in full HD. Actually I'd say ideally they should be watched on the big screen but I guess that ship has already sailed.

Offline FinalplayerRyu

• Supernova
  • Bounty: $233,000,000 -
  • Respect: +6
It's out now. So go see it. I might not agree with it being "the third best anime ever made", but it is damn good.

What did you do to me?!... splendid movie, definitely deserves a high place.
(click to show/hide)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
That's asking an awful lot from your average anime watcher though. The whole idea behind the poll that this list was based off was to get as wide a sampling size as possible, to truly work out what the western anime community considers the best anime out there. Sure, you end up with a lot of flavor-of-the-week shows and basically every single "gateway" anime is guaranteed to be on there because most people end up feeling a strong attachment to the shows that got them into anime regardless of whether it's really deserved or not (one of the main reasons why Sword Art Online utterly refuses to die), but asking that people go super in-depth about what shows they love, why they love them, who they'd recommend them to, what they consider overrated and what they outright hate etc etc... Well congratulations, you've effectively turned off 95% of the people who otherwise would have voted because that would just be far too much of a hassle.

Or in fewer words:

which will make participation plummet

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
Both of those movies very much deserve to be seen in full HD. Actually I'd say ideally they should be watched on the big screen but I guess that ship has already sailed.

...and in addition to that I just found out that without a TV BluRay player it's outrageously complicated to get those things to play on a computer and basically requires that I crack their protection and rip them as files anyway. Gee, thank you for encouraging my attempts to avoid pirating stuff, movie industry  :face-normal.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
...and in addition to that I just found out that without a TV BluRay player it's outrageously complicated to get those things to play on a computer and basically requires that I crack their protection and rip them as files anyway. Gee, thank you for encouraging my attempts to avoid pirating stuff, movie industry  :face-normal.
I had a proper Blu-ray player on my PC at one point. Unfortunately it was with an external BD-drive which connected to the PC via USB... and somehow, the port on the BD-drive itself came loose. Meaning I now have an external BD-drive lying around somewhere that is completely useless because it's impossible to connect to anything. But I did, at one point, have a fully functioning BD-player on my PC!!! ...Which I remember stopped working once I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 because of course the makers of said program would make it so I'd have to buy a whole new version of it to use on my new PC... I eventually ended up just pirating the program.

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
Well, that was a thing that happened:

This episode was absolutely amazing :face-rofl. They REALLY took off all limiters with the blasphemy :face-lol, and that ending song is absolutely the cherry on top.

Offline Jin Kanzaki

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $6,236,000,000 -
  • Respect: +149
I knew you were gonna post this!
This episode made my fucking day.
Vice-President of 'The H.B.L.'
Captain of Science Division of Neo-Britannia

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $2,137,000,000 -
  • Respect: +84