Author Topic: Yibis' quality certified Youtube cinematics fine selection  (Read 683041 times)

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,797,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
I've mearathoned SAO abridged (aka. the good version of SAO), and it was a hella fine time I've gotta say. Anyone else seen it?

Me. Good enough to make it worth having the cancer that is SAO even exist at all, just to provide video to cut and redub to these guys. It starts amazing (the post-credit scene in episode 1 is one of the most hilarious things ever) and it only improves from there.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,684,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
SAO Abridged is honestly up there with DBZA as one of the best parody dubs ever. In both cases I'd say the parody is actually better than the show they're parodying... though with SAO that is admittedly not too hard seeing how the source is shit and everything.
This sure is a signature.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
SAO Abridged is honestly up there with DBZA as one of the best parody dubs ever. In both cases I'd say the parody is actually better than the show they're parodying... though with SAO that is admittedly not too hard seeing how the source is shit and everything.

Yeah, DBZA makes the show funnier without shedding its badassery, but mostly works because it riffs on your knowledge and love of the show. SAOA works fine on its own, and in fact there is no conceivable reason not to just watch it over the show. It doesn't make it just funnier, it makes its characters actually compelling and its plot actually sensible.

Online HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,701,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
Yeah, DBZA makes the show funnier without shedding its badassery, but mostly works because it riffs on your knowledge and love of the show. SAOA works fine on its own, and in fact there is no conceivable reason not to just watch it over the show. It doesn't make it just funnier, it makes its characters actually compelling and its plot actually sensible.
Yeah, though I've never seen SAO I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have found much entertainment in it, but SAO Abridged managed to make me CARE!
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline FinalplayerRyu

• Grand Line Pirate
  • Bounty: $218,000,000 -
  • Respect: +6
Me. Good enough to make it worth having the cancer that is SAO even exist at all

So, i have myself some gripes with SAO, the whole incest plot being the most annoying, but also the tiresome harem that builds around the main character. Since i REALLY enjoyed the first part (Aincrad) and was still entertained by the rest, honest question: What is the cancer you are talking about?

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
So, i have myself some gripes with SAO, the whole incest plot being the most annoying, but also the tiresome harem that builds around the main character. Since i REALLY enjoyed the first part (Aincrad) and was still entertained by the rest, honest question: What is the cancer you are talking about?

Well, bit of an exaggeration of course, it's not like by merely existing SAO truly bothers me, but if one had to go more in detail I'd say that SAO's ripple effects, beyond its own badness, consist in bringing forth a horde of even worse clones and generally opening the flood gates to the era of Cheap Light Novel Power Fantasy (Possibly With A Game-Like Setting) anime. Then again, that also got us Konosuba taking the piss of them all, so again, not all was bad  :face-rofl.

Re: SAO itself, the arguments have been made a thousand times, and I think in fact the Abridged series both addresses AND fixes them brilliantly - and I'm talking about Aincrad here, since that's the only arc that got abridged yet. Mostly these are:

1) the aspect of SAO being a game, the interaction of game mechanics with the player society, the game design itself, all these things are teased but never dwelt into properly. Conversely, Log Horizon for example did that much better - but unfortunately also had rather plain character and much less flashy action, so it got boring on its own right for different reasons. This all can be summarised as "Kawahara really doesn't have an idea how an ACTUAL MMORPG works". He just thought the death game trope would be cool, but then basically made his setting a fantasy setting with some more-or-less incongruous game elements jammed in. Abridged fixes this by introducing proper use of believable game mechanics and social interactions, ranging from the serious (like fixing the whole "whodunnit" plot into something that makes far more sense) to the satirical (the very first scene in episode 1 when Kirito is overwhelmed by ads)

2) the romance with Asuna is tacked on, rushed and uninteresting, yet it hoards off the entire second half of Aincrad. Seriously, Tsuredure Children right now is airing with 15-minutes episodes split in 3 or 4 scenes all dedicated to different couples and it still manages to create more chemistry and romance between its characters than these two managed in an entire show. Regular SAO Kirito and Asuna have almost no personality, they just bounce off each other like some sort of perfect Gaussian average of teenage love tropes. Only points they earn is for having sex relatively early on, which is admittedly a fresh direction to take for anime romance. By comparison, Abridged!SAO Kirito and Asuna are two absolute wrecks of human beings, two walking broken messes of neuroses and psychopathy... and they work perfectly well together, and in fact make you even root for them because behind their smug facade they're also obviously extremely unhappy and being together somehow makes them less unhappy, in whatever dysfunctional way they can muster.

3) the ending is rushed as fuck. It feels like Kawahara got tired (or got a call from his editor) and decided to call it a day, thus dumping in a random boss fight and then closing the arc, just to go and have another one which loses all the stakes that made the first work. Again, Abridged!SAO fixes this by making the transition to the fight itself more organic and believable, disseminating the previous episodes with buildup and foreshadowing that was absent in the original show. Something, I should mention, that had A-1 Pictures been more bold in adapting the material they could have done themselves, thus improving the story substantially.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page

3) the ending is rushed as fuck. It feels like Kawahara got tired (or got a call from his editor) and decided to call it a day, thus dumping in a random boss fight and then closing the arc, just to go and have another one which loses all the stakes that made the first work. Again, Abridged!SAO fixes this by making the transition to the fight itself more organic and believable, disseminating the previous episodes with buildup and foreshadowing that was absent in the original show. Something, I should mention, that had A-1 Pictures been more bold in adapting the material they could have done themselves, thus improving the story substantially.

Also I would like to point out how this rushed ending entails both of the heroes dying and then promptly un-dying for no reason. This admittedly happens in SAOA too, but at least there Kirito's avatar doesn't flat-out disintegrate before then somehow willing himself back into existence to finish the fight. Which for me at least, was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Oh and then there's that bit where Kayaba's motivation is literally "I dunno."

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
Also I would like to point out how this rushed ending entails both of the heroes dying and then promptly un-dying for no reason. This admittedly happens in SAOA too, but at least there Kirito's avatar doesn't flat-out disintegrate before then somehow willing himself back into existence to finish the fight. Which for me at least, was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Oh and then there's that bit where Kayaba's motivation is literally "I dunno."

Well, obviously the abridging couldn't outright change the source material. It did what it could with what it had, and managed to make it overall more believable (I still stand by the opinion that in the original show, a terrible chance for a perfect Chekhov's Gun was wasted in the form of the 5-seconds revival item Klein should in theory have gotten back in the Christmas episode. Kirito gets stabbed, Kayaba gloats, Klein revives him and he takes Kayaba by surprise stabbing him back. Sensible, clever, ironic, since it'd be Kayaba's own twisted idea of inserting that bait-and-switch prize to come bite him back in the ass).

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
Well, obviously the abridging couldn't outright change the source material. It did what it could with what it had, and managed to make it overall more believable (I still stand by the opinion that in the original show, a terrible chance for a perfect Chekhov's Gun was wasted in the form of the 5-seconds revival item Klein should in theory have gotten back in the Christmas episode. Kirito gets stabbed, Kayaba gloats, Klein revives him and he takes Kayaba by surprise stabbing him back. Sensible, clever, ironic, since it'd be Kayaba's own twisted idea of inserting that bait-and-switch prize to come bite him back in the ass).

Pfffft, what do you want, like, competent storytelling or something? This is Sword Art Online, biatch!! (Although yes, I too remember floating that idea in the immediate aftermath of that extremely stupid event.)

Offline FinalplayerRyu

• Grand Line Pirate
  • Bounty: $218,000,000 -
  • Respect: +6
(click to show/hide)

It was certainly rough in terms of going into the details of an MMO, but lets be honest most MMOs are quite simple and don't have very complex systems build in. So i disagree that he has no idea how a MMO works, because its not that hard unless you go down certain specific ones that went above and beyond and did actually some big innovations.

(click to show/hide)

Have to say that it is hard for me to think about romances that were done well in Anime, of course that doesn't excuse it, but sets expectations low...

(click to show/hide)

Yes, now that you remind me... it felt really disappointing and thinking about it, one thing that also kind of bothered me was that Kirito was always at the top, always Super High Level, but i don't think i remember ever seeing how he gets there. I think its similiar to the trope of smart athletic guy in a classroom and he just is like that, all the work that goes into it is never mentioned.

Thanks for the insight, sometimes its just feels like people rail on something to be etchy like for example Attack on Titan where everyone loved it when the first season ran and during the time til Season 2 people started to disect and attack it.

EDIT: Also i can't comment on the Abridged series since i only saw 1, maybe 2 episodes.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
(click to show/hide)

It was certainly rough in terms of going into the details of an MMO, but lets be honest most MMOs are quite simple and don't have very complex systems build in. So i disagree that he has no idea how a MMO works, because its not that hard unless you go down certain specific ones that went above and beyond and did actually some big innovations.

I think the author himself admitted he doesn't understand much of games. There's a lot of mechanics that don't make sense. Worst offender IMHO is the idea that Dual Wielding is not only a rare skill in a swords-only game (like, they already don't have magic or other weapons, just let 'em dual wield at least!), but a unique one, that makes the protagonist super-special-awesome. Without considering how no matter how good you are, in an MMO usually you just don't solo dungeon bosses, they're not designed to work that way.

Have to say that it is hard for me to think about romances that were done well in Anime, of course that doesn't excuse it, but sets expectations low...

Ore Monogatari is mostly cute but definitely makes you care more for the protagonists. The aforementioned Tsuredure Children is already one of my favourites in the genre. Servant X Service has a very cute couple. Also, even outside of outright romance anime, it's not IMHO that hard to have romantic interests who at least feel like they have better chemistry than those two. Edward and Winry from FMA have better chemistry, heck, so do Bulma and Vegeta for that matter. Simon and Nia work much better too. In general, all these characters have some well-defined personality traits, and you can see how they would interact successfully with each other. In SAO it's like the author was so worried to make his characters disliked by the readers he forgot to give them flaws. It's a pretty beginner mistake, and it shows if one considers that he actually fixed it when writing Accel World, which isn't some masterpiece but at least doesn't have a Gary Stu as a protagonist (in fact here Kawahara erred in the opposite direction, making a hero who's SO flawed, due mostly to being short and fat and somehow cowardly, that a lot of people didn't care for the anime just because of him).

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,514,000,000 -
  • Respect: +726
    • My Anime List
Bulma and Vegeta

*Goku and Vegeta

We all know that is the true pairing here  :face-rolleyes

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou