Author Topic: Fall 2017 Anime  (Read 16099 times)

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,910,000,000 -
  • Respect: +560
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
Re: Fall 2017 Anime
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
Only had one show I was looking forward to this season and that was Inuyashiki, the rest was just to kill time I didn't really have. They were procrastination shows.

Right, Inuyashiki was good too. Edited to mention it. Guess I tended to think about it a bit less because anyway I'd already read the manga and it was a very close adaptation so it didn't leave as much of an impression on me in terms of surprise.

Sorry, had to laugh at this considering how strongly you were promoting it before.  :face-rofl

Eh, Starfish is right. I really did find it disappointing. Not sure what changed so much, but it just felt like the gags were more tired and just desperate to push the envelope. The kind of stuff that often befalls a lot of "shock comedy" shows I guess  :face-normal.

Offline Zxcvbnm11592

• Eternal Hell
  • Bounty: $1,263,000,000 -
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
Shokugeki was fun but the whole Azami arc is nonsense that takes itself a bit too seriously and I must say that makes it a bit more boring.

Well, you need a new villain, right? But yeah, I get your point. On the bright side though, it's gonna be back to back cook offs in the next arc, you'll hardly even notice it.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Zxcvbnm11592
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Zxcvbnm11592
Updated 13 Sep 2016

Captain of Sneaky Evil Crazy Mastermind Tactics.
Join the Empire today!

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,579,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »
Disappointing sequels are a thing. Surely you must have experienced a few in your time? ...Oh right, you never watched the Steins;Gate movie, did you?

Probably but I can't reel off an example right now.  :face-tongue

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #303 on: December 31, 2017, 01:52:35 AM »
Probably but I can't reel off an example right now.  :face-tongue

People seem to have a very low opinion of Psycho Pass 2, for example.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #304 on: December 31, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
I didn't think it was that bad. I don't recall everything since it was a while back, but from what I remember now it was maybe a point lower than the first season or something, but for me this is within expected fluctuation and not yet "disappointing". I felt a lot of people disliked Psycho Pass 2 just because it wasn't what they expected after first season, only wanted to see it do the same thing again, and were too biased by this to see that it had some different merits. Similar to how some people auto-hate remakes of their favourite show because the first one is perfect by definition and any variation is therefore categorical shit (some FMA, HxH fans, though the overwhelming quality of both these remakes in the latter half eventually won over much of this crowd anyway).

Anyway I skimmed through my MAL drop and low-score list and didn't find much inspiration - there are a few sequels I dropped because I just got bored of them, but was already bored starting with first season and just held out a while, it's not like it got worse with the sequel so much as it was always meh. Then there are long-runners like Naruto Shippuuden which devolved into filler hell and pacing agony but again this is less "disappointing sequel" and more "disappointing adaptation", and when it's that long it's hardly meaningful to compare to two seasons of the kind of 1-2 season shows in question.

I still think it's quite likely I have been heavily disappointed by a sequel at some point, but even with some effort I can't find an example.  :face-tongue

Offline Zxcvbnm11592

• Eternal Hell
  • Bounty: $1,263,000,000 -
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »
Welp, finally watched Inuyashiki, and goddamn I can see why everyone gushed over it. It had way too many moments that made me go "Oh no" out loud, but it was all done really well. I loved the entire series and Hiro is one of the few good villains I've seen in a while. Reminded me a lot of Yoshikage Kira and Jojo Part 4. And Inuyashiki is the sweetest old man ever.

And all this with pretty good looking CG for the most part. Solid winner of the season, and that's before I go back to finish off the rest of Juuni Taisen, I'm sure.

Also lul Trump
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Zxcvbnm11592
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Zxcvbnm11592
Updated 13 Sep 2016

Captain of Sneaky Evil Crazy Mastermind Tactics.
Join the Empire today!

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:44 AM »
And all this with pretty good looking CG for the most part.

Though I must admit, now that I'm watching Houseki no Kuni, not quite the best CG of the season.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
Houseki was amazing. The more I reflect on it, the more I like it. I dunno how far in you are but it only gets better as it goes, too. Some of the late fight choreography is crazy good and they make extensive use of the advantages of working in CG - pulling camera angle shit that would all but bankrupt a studio to commission in conventional animation. As much as just looking good on a frame-to-frame basis, I am also a big fan of how they push boundaries in this way. Other CG anime just try to recreate conventionally-possible scenes at a lower budget, but this is never going to be as good since it's an ad-hoc and imperfect technique. HnK says screw this and takes CGI's pros and cons for what they are and designs the show around this different set of limitations and strengths that are now available and I really think it's groundbreaking in this way.

Spoilers for episode 10, but an example:

From memory there are maybe 2-3 scenes better than this, still, but I just couldn't find them quickly.

It's also a great choice of source material to do this with given the setting. Possibly wouldn't work as well if characters were all human. Also so confused about the presence/lack of gender in the show. Synopses and shit say genderless, but the Japanese dialogue uses frequent male pronouns and forms of address... but maybe only for some characters? Possibly just defaulting to male when needed, since Japanese hasn't caught on much with genderless pronouns compared to western liberals, and it would be awkward to construct all the dialogue around gender-ambiguous statements forever - though this is easier in Japanese than English tbh - I think it probably could be done, which is what makes me still doubt if there isn't some further intention than this.

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
I haven't followed the Japanese but the English was confusing. Even whatever genderless pronouns we use - and there's no fixed convention that I know of - probably don't fit fully the situation of lifeforms that literally possess no sex because they don't reproduce that way. It's always a problem with sci-fi/fantasy settings featuring characters with unusual biology, our language seldom is adequate to talk about them. Novels often have more time to go around the issue by establishing the world and even making up words, but in TV shows there's less time and more risk of being misunderstood or confusing the viewers, so it often gets sidetracked.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,715,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
...and it would be awkward to construct all the dialogue around gender-ambiguous statements forever - though this is easier in Japanese than English tbh - I think it probably could be done, which is what makes me still doubt if there isn't some further intention than this.
Speaking as someone who fansubs Pokémon, this is definitely easier in Japanese than in English. For starters they can easily construct a gramatically correct sentence without even using pronouns at all, and they also have more than a few phrases that are completely neutral. It's honestly a bit frustrating; I don't like having to use "it" so much as it feels so impersonal, but more often than not, I have no choice because the show rarely ever actually states if any given 'mon is male or female.
This sure is a signature.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2018, 02:04:26 PM »
I don't like having to use "it" so much as it feels so impersonal, but more often than not, I have no choice because the show rarely ever actually states if any given 'mon is male or female.

I recall that a lot of pokemon have visual differences between sexes, at least in the games. When you translate and have this kind of problem do you look out for these? (if the anime even bothers to pay such attention to detail when it's not a plot point...)

I'm guessing you've already thought of this since you're way more in to this than me, and it would likely not be possible every time anyway, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

For starters they can easily construct a gramatically correct sentence without even using pronouns at all, and they also have more than a few phrases that are completely neutral.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, yeah.

But in Houseki no Kuni they, several times, refer to characters with かれ (but never かのじょ as far as I remember). Since this is theoretically unnecessary I wonder if there is a better reason for why these supposedly genderless characters are referred to this way rather than in any of the grammatically correct neutral ways. And my best guess is that even though this is grammatically ok, it could somehow feel awkward to native speakers to nonetheless omit pronouns in every single sentence. Similarly there are cases I recall of characters referring to each other using sibling honorifics and again always choosing the male ones (e.g. お兄さん and お兄ちゃん, and afaik there isn't a gender-neutral way of doing this other than just choosing not to address via sibling-related language in the first place, correct me if I'm wrong though)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:07:03 PM by CL3 »

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:33 PM »
Maybe Houseki is encoding the contrast in multiple channels. It uses masculine pronouns and honorifics in language relying on the dissonance this will create with the appearance and the voices of the gems (which are more on the feminine side).

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2018, 02:16:32 PM »
"More on the female side" is one way of putting it. The closest thing to male-sounding amongst the gems are female seiyuu famous for voicing boys. Jouji Nakata as Kongou-Sensei might be the only male actor in the cast IIRC.

Oh, also, the merchandise for this show is next-level

https://imgur.com/a/IypJj

Yep, a sample of every gemstone a character is named for/made of.  *Only* eight million yen!

I sort of want it actually.  :face-rofl

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
"More on the female side" is one way of putting it. The closest thing to male-sounding amongst the gems are female seiyuu famous for voicing boys. Jouji Nakata as Kongou-Sensei might be the only male actor in the cast IIRC.

Oh, also, the merchandise for this show is next-level

https://imgur.com/a/IypJj

Yep, a sample of every gemstone a character is named for/made of.  *Only* eight million yen!

I sort of want it actually.  :face-rofl

I guess it's the diamond that really puts the price tag that high... [Googles] oh crap, apparently phosphophyllite is really rare and precious? I had no idea.

About the feminine aspect, yeah, the voices are all women but could at least pass for adolescents... but then you get the looks, and lack of breasts aside, most gems look much more like women than men. Had they used also female pronouns we would have just assumed they all were girls.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,715,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
I recall that a lot of pokemon have visual differences between sexes, at least in the games. When you translate and have this kind of problem do you look out for these? (if the anime even bothers to pay such attention to detail when it's not a plot point...)

I'm guessing you've already thought of this since you're way more in to this than me, and it would likely not be possible every time anyway, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.
I'll basically look for any excuse to not use "it", so yeah, I do try to look for those differences in any species that have them... Unfortunately, in the current main cast, "any species that have them" = "Pikachu and nobody else". And Pikachu had been established as being a dude long before GameFreak decided all of a sudden that female Pikachu have heart-shaped tails. And actually... I can't think of any other instances recently where a 'mon who looks noticably different depending on whether it's a dude or a chick has showed up either. There aren't really that many of them.
This sure is a signature.