Author Topic: Fall 2017 Anime  (Read 12233 times)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,562,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
Re: Fall 2017 Anime
« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
I, for one, don't feel disturbed by any of this. I can watch all the murder/torture/etc scenes mentioned above and be fine.

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
  • Bounty: $952,000,000 -
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2017, 08:28:07 PM »
Inuyashiki 07
(click to show/hide)

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Inuyashiki 08
(click to show/hide)

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,879,000,000 -
  • Respect: +559
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »
Inuyashiki 08
(click to show/hide)

I guess it was all too fast, and maybe he DID realise he couldn't really do much yet. Ando must have drilled him heavily about not jumping into the battle headfirst, he's not going to have more than one chance.

Meanwhile we also get a couple of side plots - the asteroid approaching, and Mari wanting to become a mangaka. Oh and we meet Eiichiro Oda's son :face-rofl.

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2017, 12:31:18 AM »
I guess it was all too fast, and maybe he DID realise he couldn't really do much yet. Ando must have drilled him heavily about not jumping into the battle headfirst, he's not going to have more than one chance.

Meanwhile we also get a couple of side plots - the asteroid approaching, and Mari wanting to become a mangaka. Oh and we meet Eiichiro Oda's son :face-rofl.

I thought the meteor was just a lie by the media to distract from the OP cyborg guy who just jetpacked away after murdering a bunch of people but apaprently that wasn't the case. I've got to say their intelligence network kind of sucks. Most of them are still saying "it's just one kid", this after he flew into the sky with 2 stuff sticking out of his back after multiple witnesses saw this? I dunno, I'm inclined to believe intelligence networks operate really fast but not in this anime I guess.

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2017, 12:50:15 AM »
I suppose the fact that most of those who got to see Shishigami's power close enough to have no doubt about its supernatural capabilities didn't get to tell the tale doesn't help...

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
Except that in the first two minutes you can see people literally recording him with their cellphone when he flies into the air. I suppose they can only get this anime 90% right instead of 100  :face-rofl

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,562,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
Oh shit when they mentioned the meteor I remembered something Gan posted on here when he was reading the manga and now I know what's going to happen.

At least... if the anime staff have the balls to do it. I mean... in the present social media era this could go down not so well with a certain individual, right? This could become an international shitstorm. I'm looking forward to the potential fallout (hopefully not literally... oh Enel 2017 sucks so much that I'm seriously considering this).

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »
Oh shit when they mentioned the meteor I remembered something Gan posted on here when he was reading the manga and now I know what's going to happen.

At least... if the anime staff have the balls to do it. I mean... in the present social media era this could go down not so well with a certain individual, right? This could become an international shitstorm. I'm looking forward to the potential fallout (hopefully not literally... oh Enel 2017 sucks so much that I'm seriously considering this).

I know right? I'm looking forward to that too. After the episode where Shishigami slaughters 2chan, if they go through and do it, this will finish pissing off that side of the internet  :face-rofl.

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
Wish Shokugeki would get a little more creative with the foodgasms. This "shredded clothes = good food" metaphor is getting stale fast.

Also Inuyashiki 09
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:18:01 PM by Garp »

Online HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,731,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:10 PM »
Goddamit guys, Ancient Magus' Bride is so dang good, I love this series so fucking much you guys, who else is watching it? Talk to me!
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
Goddamit guys, Ancient Magus' Bride is so dang good, I love this series so fucking much you guys, who else is watching it? Talk to me!

I was going to after watching the OVAs and loving them but haven't gotten around to doing it. Most people describing it as fantasy stockholm syndrome is not very appealing to me. You saying how good it is though, is making me want to watch it.

Online HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2017, 11:24:06 PM »
I was going to after watching the OVAs and loving them but haven't gotten around to doing it. Most people describing it as fantasy stockholm syndrome is not very appealing to me. You saying how good it is though, is making me want to watch it.
I mean that is certainly an element of it, but the story actually explores the relationship, so it's like Beauty and the Beast except it's good and dosen't glorify stockholm syndrome.

Online Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:11 PM »
except it's good and dosen't glorify stockholm syndrome.

Actually, Magus' Bride is WAY more Stockholm Syndrome than Beauty and the Beast. Comparisons:

• Chise was bought as a slave by Elias. Belle freely offered herself up to free her father;
  • Chise is mostly passive about her stay with Elias. Belle is defiant from day one and never pulls back from telling Beast off;
  • Elias lies and manipulates Chise to his ends, it's still unclear whether these are really all benevolent. Beast, while rough and rude, is fundamentally truthful;
  • Chise is insecure and loveless and immediately sees in Elias an anchor to hang on to. Belle has already a family and a happy life, she doesn't need Beast, and only goes back to him out of her own sense of duty when he almost dies to save her (and by the way, she was running away).

The whole point of Stockholm Syndrome is you submit willingly to your captor and even feel like whatever little they do for you is reason for love. Belle never did any of that - she's rebellious at first, and then only comes back when the Beast is at its weakest, and out of her own moral concerns, not because she's in love with him. She only falls in love as she knows him better, and again, that happens when he's weak and vulnerable, not when he's strong and violent. By comparison, Chise is willing to accept any lies or manipulations by Elias and trust him because she doesn't have anyone else, so she'll just take anything from him. She definitely has way more Stockholm Syndrome than Belle.

Online HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2017, 11:44:01 PM »
Actually, Magus' Bride is WAY more Stockholm Syndrome than Beauty and the Beast. Comparisons:

• Chise was bought as a slave by Elias. Belle freely offered herself up to free her father;
  • Chise is mostly passive about her stay with Elias. Belle is defiant from day one and never pulls back from telling Beast off;
  • Elias lies and manipulates Chise to his ends, it's still unclear whether these are really all benevolent. Beast, while rough and rude, is fundamentally truthful;
  • Chise is insecure and loveless and immediately sees in Elias an anchor to hang on to. Belle has already a family and a happy life, she doesn't need Beast, and only goes back to him out of her own sense of duty when he almost dies to save her (and by the way, she was running away).

The whole point of Stockholm Syndrome is you submit willingly to your captor and even feel like whatever little they do for you is reason for love. Belle never did any of that - she's rebellious at first, and then only comes back when the Beast is at its weakest, and out of her own moral concerns, not because she's in love with him. She only falls in love as she knows him better, and again, that happens when he's weak and vulnerable, not when he's strong and violent. By comparison, Chise is willing to accept any lies or manipulations by Elias and trust him because she doesn't have anyone else, so she'll just take anything from him. She definitely has way more Stockholm Syndrome than Belle.
... ok to be fair I haven't seen Beauty and te Beast in.... I think I actually never watched that movie, you see I'm actually not really a Disney or Pixar fan and... anyway it's just the first and easiest comparison that came to my mind and I didn't really think it through which is totally my fault.

And I didn't mean to imply that Belle or Chise have more or less Stocholm syndrome I just wanted to express that I think the way Magus Bride puts this dynamic front and center and actually explores and develops it is really interesting and cool.

Also, I love Ruth, he's a super fun character, can't wait to see what else he'll do in the story.