Author Topic: Hypest battle manga Feng Shen Ji!  (Read 798 times)

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,712,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
Hypest battle manga Feng Shen Ji!
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
A thread for discussion of Feng Shen Ji and its copious supply of hype as fuck moments. Spoilers aplenty.

Allright, so Gan, were you expecting such a sad and happy ending? I've gotta say that last arc was a goddamn rollercoaster. And Zi Yu is... just the best, he'S SO FUCKING COOL i LOVE HIM SO MUCH!
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,835,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
Re: Hypest battle manga Feng Shen Ji!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
Allright, so Gan, were you expecting such a sad and happy ending? I've gotta say that last arc was a goddamn rollercoaster. And Zi Yu is... just the best, he'S SO FUCKING COOL i LOVE HIM SO MUCH!

Well, I thought Ah Gou might actually die and give up his soul there, so the ending after all was not quite as bad as I thought it could be. Him transforming into the judge of the Underworld tho'  :face-rofl. Sad for the Dark Ones though, that shit was really hard to read :face-sad.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »
Well, I thought Ah Gou might actually die and give up his soul there, so the ending after all was not quite as bad as I thought it could be. Him transforming into the judge of the Underworld tho'  :face-rofl. Sad for the Dark Ones though, that shit was really hard to read :face-sad.
Overall this series was prety brutal and that served it well! You said somethinig about it in your "othe manga...." post that I was thinking about since I read it, namely that it pulls one power after the other out of nothing. And you're right! It totally does, but while in most series this is just bad and annoying, the writing and the... maybe because the way it was structured it kept being awesome. The one time I was a little "ok this maybe a bit too much" was with Ah Gous Nothingness powerup, but it WAS foreshadowed so I'm not that mad.

The Phantom Island arc was definitely the most lackluster, but it was prety much just for re-introducing Jiang Shang and giving a cool fight to the generals that got left behind in the war on the Gods' island, and it did those two things great so it was overall still good.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Yeah, Ah Gou's Nothingness power up was perhaps the most out of the blue one. Still, he needed something to catch up I guess  :face-rofl... not everyone can be like Zi Yu and win battles by SHEER POWER OF ABSOLUTE BADASSERY (and a bit of help from Soul Gear at the end, admittedly).

I think perhaps my favourite power-up must have been Ah Gou's cannon though. It's a rather unconventional weapon for this kind of story, and it fits his battle pragmatist/trickster nature very well.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
Yeah, Ah Gou's Nothingness power up was perhaps the most out of the blue one. Still, he needed something to catch up I guess  :face-rofl... not everyone can be like Zi Yu and win battles by SHEER POWER OF ABSOLUTE BADASSERY (and a bit of help from Soul Gear at the end, admittedly).

I think perhaps my favourite power-up must have been Ah Gou's cannon though. It's a rather unconventional weapon for this kind of story, and it fits his battle pragmatist/trickster nature very well.
Speaking of Ah Gou, he bacame one of my favourite protags. The way he came from being a little bitch to this wise and compassionate leader and also an unstoppable fighting machine with more hotblooded determination than a hundred regular shonen protags was an amazing journey. He was literally so badass, that he found the only way to "defeat" Tian by impressing him.

And if wwe're talking Ah Gou, I've gotta say I really wanted Bai Cai to do more than she did in the end, but she was still super cool.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
And if wwe're talking Ah Gou, I've gotta say I really wanted Bai Cai to do more than she did in the end, but she was still super cool.

Yeah, she's pretty great too. She already did more than I'd expected. Have her take down one opponent would have probably been a bit too much  :face-rofl, even with her mad teleporting skillz she was way below the average level. The comic had more male fighters but wasn't shy on female ones either anyway, both on the G.ods and the Dark Ones' side, so I don't think her role was a consequence of her being a woman. It's more that she was this grounded, human presence amidst all the crazy superpowered fighters.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
Yeah, she's pretty great too. She already did more than I'd expected. Have her take down one opponent would have probably been a bit too much  :face-rofl, even with her mad teleporting skillz she was way below the average level. The comic had more male fighters but wasn't shy on female ones either anyway, both on the G.ods and the Dark Ones' side, so I don't think her role was a consequence of her being a woman. It's more that she was this grounded, human presence amidst all the crazy superpowered fighters.
Yeah that's true. To reference your favourite characters again, Zhen Chan was fucking boss, he is LITERALLY Buddha. And NiTian ErXing was.... words fail me to adequately describe him, but he basically set the goal for Ah Gou to be as good as him in the end.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
Zhen Chan was fucking boss, he is LITERALLY Buddha

It's all the more shocking when you consider how his powers are uncannily similar to Sousuke Aizen's :face-rofl.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:33:10 PM »
It's all the more shocking when you consider how his powers are uncannily similar to Sousuke Aizen's :face-rofl.
Holy SHIT! I didn't realize that!

I don't have a good segue for this, but what did you think about the writing style? Speciafically that whenever a power or person is referenced they ALWAYS say their full name.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »
I don't have a good segue for this, but what did you think about the writing style? Speciafically that whenever a power or person is referenced they ALWAYS say their full name.

I didn't mind it. I guess it's also a translation artefact - Chinese sounds to me far more synthetic than English, and after all if you can write a single word and express a complex meaning thanks to the individual meanings of the ideograms used it's inevitable that it's going to be hard to convey. A similar problem happens in Japanese too, especially when some mangaka decides to act cool by dissociating furiganan reading and kanji writing for the same attack name. And I guess it really enhances the epic feeling when someone announces a long badass ancient-sounding name for whatever shit they're throwing at the opponent  :face-rofl.

As for the style in general, didn't really feel strongly about it. It's serviceable, mostly. It has enough nuance to distinguish between the voice of different characters, all the while without really standing out. Again, translation is paramount, and I guess we both read non-professional scanlations... I was already very pleasantly surprised by their consistent quality and overall good translation.

Offline MrRandomJr

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $771,000,000 -
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
And NiTian ErXing was.... words fail me to adequately describe him, but he basically set the goal for Ah Gou to be as good as him in the end.
He's the sole reason why the second season is my favorite. Well, not quite, long time since I finished Feng Shen Ji, but from what I remember Season 3 seemed a bit too much, too many impossibly strong enemies and power-ups, I still liked it, but not as much as the second part.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Oh! I remembered something I really wanted to gush about! Ah Ghous fights with Sage King Bai Lian.

It's never a fair contest between them, he's always obviously stronger than Bai Lian and the way that guy constantly boasts and monologues during their batlles makes it extra hillarious when he inevitably gets ROFLstomped. Their last fight in season 3 is so good, he intimidates him into defeat revealing him for the snivelling rat he truly is, it's SO FUCKING GOOD!

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
Oh! I remembered something I really wanted to gush about! Ah Ghous fights with Sage King Bai Lian.

It's never a fair contest between them, he's always obviously stronger than Bai Lian and the way that guy constantly boasts and monologues during their batlles makes it extra hillarious when he inevitably gets ROFLstomped. Their last fight in season 3 is so good, he intimidates him into defeat revealing him for the snivelling rat he truly is, it's SO FUCKING GOOD!

Oh, yeah, the poison guy  :face-rofl.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
Oh, yeah, the poison guy  :face-rofl.
He was such a piece of shit, I loved seeing him getting punched in the face over and over again.