Author Topic: One Piece Live Action TV series  (Read 2837 times)

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $974,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
Re: One Piece Live Action TV series
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 04:38:18 AM »
Seems I don't need to make an argument of them changing One Piece from it's usual goofy tone to a more realistic and serious setting. The only part I'm optimistic in is that it could be something that could be very good if it wasn't called One Piece. (Which is also my argument for the upcoming Jumanji movie.)

...For those who don't feel like sitting through a YouTube video, basically the point is, consider what the defining aspects of the source material is and don't be afraid to make changes if something just will not work in live action.
So true. I point to the CW's Arrowverse. Those shows are actually loosely based on the comics. The creators have even expressed how they strayed from the original character's intentions or story. (They changed Zoom's identity in Flash Season 2 to create suspense and surprise.) They use characters and roughly use story-lines that comic fans will argue that they're not really the Green Arrow or the Flash or whoever else they've used. But those shows are still successful and I personally rather like them. I still think turning anime into live-action is a stupid idea and that anyone who even THINKS of making one should be shot before the idea gets delivered, but all I can do is hope they're even halfway decent...
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,835,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
It's not necessarily that "turning anime" into live action is crazy talk. But if they can't even handle turning freaking Death Note into live action - and all hints seem to point towards that direction - what chance can they have with One Piece? Adapting is one thing, but what Hollywood usually does isn't just adapting, it's disfiguring everything until it becomes the same cookie-cutter story they keep telling again, again and again. Whereas most people who watch anime do so exactly because they're looking for something different.

Offline Zeronoux

• Greeeeen
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $2,140,000,000 -
  • Respect: +136
    • Zeronoux
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
I bet L has a gun in the netflix version of Death Note and there is a chase scene where L tries to shoot Light.

Offline Beldarius

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $112,000,000 -
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
...I lost hope the moment I saw "Hollywood". They screw up everything they touch.

Only Japanese people can make good live-action based on anime and manga. Case in point, check out Fuma no Kojiro (based on Masami Kurumada's manga). It's great and very faithful to the original material. Most of the live-action stage shows are also really good - I've seen Prince of Tennis, Bleach, Gensomaden Saiyuki, Yowamushi Pedal, Haikyuu and Ace of Diamond so far. (I'm just terrified of the Saint Seiya Hollywood film. It's going to be awful, even in comparison to One Piece.)

Tbh, I can't wait to see what they do with Zoro and Sanji and their "sword in mouth" and "spinning kick" maneuvers. XD Or Chopper. Maybe they'll use CGI for him?
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
...I lost hope the moment I saw "Hollywood". They screw up everything they touch.

Only Japanese people can make good live-action based on anime and manga. Case in point, check out Fuma no Kojiro (based on Masami Kurumada's manga). It's great and very faithful to the original material. Most of the live-action stage shows are also really good - I've seen Prince of Tennis, Bleach, Gensomaden Saiyuki, Yowamushi Pedal, Haikyuu and Ace of Diamond so far. (I'm just terrified of the Saint Seiya Hollywood film. It's going to be awful, even in comparison to One Piece.)

Tbh, I can't wait to see what they do with Zoro and Sanji and their "sword in mouth" and "spinning kick" maneuvers. XD Or Chopper. Maybe they'll use CGI for him?

I don't think they'll even get to Chopper. There's a fuckton of material to adapt before that anyway.

Offline kingwolf

• King of Wolves and Lord of Catgirls
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $386,000,000 -
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 02:53:06 AM »
i cant stand any live action adaptions tbqh, ive yet to see a good one based off an anime. And Starfish as always excellent share in the vid and youre absolutely right.
"I lose my memory little by little with each day. Soon, time will eventually make me forget. But for now, I'll never forget your warm heart." From the flash "I won't forget" by Snow-Studios at Newgrounds

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $974,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 05:36:54 AM »
i cant stand any live action adaptions tbqh, ive yet to see a good one based off an anime.
I just want to hope, be positive and look for any excuse to think it'll be good because this IS One Piece they're working on. But in all honesty, I'm the exact same.
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Beldarius

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $112,000,000 -
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
Here's an example of a decent live-action based on an anime.

Not everybody in the Saiyuki musical can sing, but they can act really well. Atsushi Maruyama, the guy playing Gojyo, is especially good - he looks, moves and speaks exactly like the anime character, and even his voice sounds reasonably similar to Hiroaki Hirata. Check out the part where he says "So you're a jack-of-all-trades and master of none?" - that "anta" he says at the end has the exact same intonation and attitude as Hiroaki Hirata's Gojyo. Hiroki Suzuki's Sanzo was also really good and reminiscent of the anime version, and Hakkai and Goku aren't bad, either.

If they ever made a Japanese live-action of One Piece, they should really hire the actors from the Prince of Tennis, Saiyuki and Bleach musicals to play the characters. They're so good at acting they tend to become the character. Tbh, I kind of wish we could have Maruyama play Sanji since he can mimic Hirata so well.

PS. http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15032759JBxSHmEj Fuma no Kojiro's live-action was also pretty good. They had nice special effects, especially with Shien's fire within the first few minutes of this episode. I also think Ryoma's actor Gaku Shindo would make for a good Zoro.
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
IMHO theater/musicals and live action TV are very different. In theater suspension of disbelief is more important, we know we can't get magical CGI effects on scene and most of it is left to one's imagination. I watched the other day "Holy Musical B@man", a Batman parody musical from Team Starkid, and I thought it was amazing, but it literally has Superman flying by using two fake dangling legs and covering his real ones with a black cloak. We wouldn't accept that shit in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. And many of the worries concerning this project are of that order. I would be far more hopeful in a One Piece musical.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,036,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 01:11:11 AM »
Closest I can think of to a decent live-action TV adaptation of anime is the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy of movies.

Worth a watch if you haven't seen them.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline kingwolf

• Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:17 AM »
Closest I can think of to a decent live-action TV adaptation of anime is the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy of movies.

Worth a watch if you haven't seen them.

ive heard good things about it actually, and probably one of the few anime's that could be reproduced as live action, i will ahve to check it out
"I lose my memory little by little with each day. Soon, time will eventually make me forget. But for now, I'll never forget your warm heart." From the flash "I won't forget" by Snow-Studios at Newgrounds

Offline Zeronoux

• Greeeeen
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $2,140,000,000 -
  • Respect: +136
    • Zeronoux
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
I bet L has a gun in the netflix version of Death Note and there is a chase scene where L tries to shoot Light.
Sorry, wrong topic but I wanted to come back to this.
The movie is out and... :rofl time stamp: 2:10
(click to show/hide)

Offline kingwolf

• Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »
LOL wtf, my Enel its the DB movie all over again

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2017, 12:55:14 AM »
Sorry, wrong topic but I wanted to come back to this.
The movie is out and... :rofl time stamp: 2:10
(click to show/hide)

Ok, fair's fair:

(click to show/hide)