Author Topic: random sprouting of crap  (Read 1425634 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,690,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: random sprouting of crap
« Reply #21030 on: May 02, 2017, 11:39:31 PM »
In Japan, a penguin falls in love with a cutout of an anime penguin girl. Thus we bring forth the extinction of yet another species with the plague of the waifu  :awsum.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/04/30/japanese-zoo-penguin-falls-in-love-with-cutout-of-cute-anime-penguin-girl/

...And now I suddenly understand this picture I saw on Facebook the other day.

Of course it had to be a reference to something (I mean, in addition to the blatantly obvious Pokermans).
This sure is a signature.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,817,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #21031 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:55 PM »
Apparently the girl is from Kemono Friends, which has surprisingly become something of a craze over there (as well as in certain circles I see). I tried watching the first episode but it looked like a kiddie show with videogame-level 3D CG graphics so I really wasn't very interested  :face-normal. It possibly gets better.

Offline AltairAC

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $61,000,000 -
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #21032 on: May 14, 2017, 01:04:40 AM »
I don't know why but this is bothering me for a few years now. I noticed that people like to state their opinions/observations in the form of a question: "Am I the only one who thinks/noticed that ...?". I see this frequently in YouTube comments, forum posts, ... and I don't get it. It's like people are insecure about having an opinion. Why not just say: "I think that ...". It doesn't really make sense to me. I can't think of an example where the question "Am I the only one ..." will receive the following answer: "Yes, among 7 billion people who currently inhabit this wretched planet, you are the only who thinks this/noticed that."

Is this expression common in the English language or just a byproduct derived from the Internet? I learned English as a second language and I've never seen this in any textbook.

Don't be offended by this post, I'm weird.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,035,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #21033 on: May 14, 2017, 01:55:55 AM »
+1
I don't know why but this is bothering me for a few years now. I noticed that people like to state their opinions/observations in the form of a question: "Am I the only one who thinks/noticed that ...?". I see this frequently in YouTube comments, forum posts, ... and I don't get it. It's like people are insecure about having an opinion. Why not just say: "I think that ...". It doesn't really make sense to me. I can't think of an example where the question "Am I the only one ..." will receive the following answer: "Yes, among 7 billion people who currently inhabit this wretched planet, you are the only who thinks this/noticed that."

Is this expression common in the English language or just a byproduct derived from the Internet? I learned English as a second language and I've never seen this in any textbook.

Don't be offended by this post, I'm weird.

I think the reason for this is partly because people want to make a connection with others no matter how insignificant, and partly because people watch too much American TV in which the "Am I the only one..." line seems to be an essential tool for any writer. Especially comedy writers and comedians. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen a stand-up act ask the audience "Have you seen this?" or "Am I the only one who's seen this?"

In short, blame Seinfeld.   :face-lol

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $2,131,000,000 -
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #21034 on: May 14, 2017, 03:25:12 AM »
Phrasing your statements as questions is more likely to get replies, simple as that.  :face-lol

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #21035 on: May 14, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
What was said, also: it's usually said for controversial opinions. It's meant to elicit a response from those who may share that opinion but are too embarrassed to express it in the face of the majority trend. Hence its phrasing as a question, it's supposed to invite others to step forward too.

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $2,131,000,000 -
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #21036 on: May 14, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
Anyway, I got a different question... does anyone know a website similar to MyAnimeList, but for tracking live action TV shows and movies? Or preferably, one that lets you keep track of both on one website. IMDb kinda lets you do this and they have anime as well, but it's really convoluted and lacking in features.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,531,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21037 on: May 15, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
For asian live action stuff there's http://mydramalist.com/

I've heard of https://www.icheckmovies.com/ and https://trakt.tv/ and think they do something similar

Beyond that just google "myanimelist for movies" or something and read through the countless forum threads asking for this that have been made before.

Offline Beldarius

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $112,000,000 -
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #21038 on: May 15, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »
...Joy. Right after I started school (polytechnic, in fact) last fall, I got Henoch-Schönlein and had to be hospitalized for a week. Was on cortisone pills for three months.

I'd managed to get G streptococcus from somewhere which my immune system decided to get rid of. ...Thing is, it somehow decided my own blood vessels were the enemy and got them inflamed.  :D:  Even got a tiny patch of necrotic skin on the top of my foot (healed now).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:08:44 PM by Beldarius »
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

Offline ArabianLuffy

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $290,000,000 -
  • Respect: +26
    • INPowerZ
« Reply #21039 on: May 30, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
+1
Elphelt is ma wifu!

Elphelt SIG Made By Me.

Online EamonX

• Man without honor
  • Bounty: $443,000,000 -
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #21040 on: June 01, 2017, 12:09:23 AM »
Covfefe has been added to the urban dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Covfefe&defid=11631173

Offline AltairAC

• One Piece Manga Reader
« Reply #21041 on: June 04, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »
+1
Why did the switch from normal females to "XX...XX sized breasts" females in One Piece happen? Isn't the show targeted at children? Are Japanese people really that more liberal than westerners or is this a grand scheme to fix population issues? http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/japan-population/

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #21042 on: June 04, 2017, 04:15:52 PM »
or is this a grand scheme to fix population issues?

Care to expand on how exactly big boobed anime girls translate into demographic growth? With all the otakus swearing themselves off 3D girls for the sake of 2D, marrying their body pillow waifus, etc. I'd say a case could be made that they have the opposite effect.

Offline AltairAC

• One Piece Manga Reader
« Reply #21043 on: June 04, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »
... all the otakus swearing themselves off 3D girls for the sake of 2D, marrying their body pillow waifus, etc. ...

I had to google that and wow, I wish I didn't ...  :face-eek
My idea was that bouncing boobs would "inspire" them to ... which may or may not result in a baby.  :face-lol
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:39:19 PM by AltairAC »

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,690,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #21044 on: June 04, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
+1
Why did the switch from normal females to "XX...XX sized breasts" females in One Piece happen? Isn't the show targeted at children? Are Japanese people really that more liberal than westerners or is this a grand scheme to fix population issues? http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/japan-population/
Because large boobs are inherently not child-friendly. Any real life woman with particularly large boobs can't be in the presence of children for it will scar them for life. :-_-

Yeah, Japan is decidedly less prudish than the US. Not that that's hard, being that conservative Americans seem to genuinely believe what I just said.
This sure is a signature.