Author Topic: Join us, you slackers. Act IV - Electric Slackaloo  (Read 74034 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,718,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Join us, you slackers. Act IV - Electric Slackaloo
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2016, 11:53:53 PM »
This was my initial concern. My knowledge of the Japanese language is very limited, so if a character/voice-over was giving a lengthy monologue then how would I know when the next line of subs should most appropriately appear? I'd be going more by the rhythm of their words, rather than actually knowing what they're saying.

When I get some time I'll try out a test example in Aegisub and see how I go.
For the record, I remember this happening at least once. Like, there was a scene way back in Marineford where Doflamingo was making a lengthy monologue to Crocodile and for a significant stretch of it, the timing was COMPLETELY off. I mean it didn't harm the story in any way as you still got WHAT he said, but the fact that the subtitles didn't sync up to WHEN he said it was a tad distracting...

But eh. At this point we're working off pretimed scripts anyway (not to mention most of the time I TLC after it's been timed and I'm picky about this sort of thing) so that's unlikely to happen any more.
This sure is a signature.

Offline King Puck

• Administrator
  • Bounty: $3,446,000,000 -
  • Respect: +602
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »
Can you douchebags please stop scaring people away with your stories?
Timers don't need to know japanese. If they did they would be translators.
That was true before there were Crunchyroll subs, and even more so now that there are.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,047,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »
For the record, I remember this happening at least once. Like, there was a scene way back in Marineford where Doflamingo was making a lengthy monologue to Crocodile and for a significant stretch of it, the timing was COMPLETELY off. I mean it didn't harm the story in any way as you still got WHAT he said, but the fact that the subtitles didn't sync up to WHEN he said it was a tad distracting...

But eh. At this point we're working off pretimed scripts anyway (not to mention most of the time I TLC after it's been timed and I'm picky about this sort of thing) so that's unlikely to happen any more.

I was thinking more of even just the opening monologue/voice-over "The goals: the final island, Raftel... and the greatest treasure in the world, One Piece! etc."

However, if you're working off pretimed scripts from Crunchyroll, then would I be correct in thinking that the job of a timer is not so much to do the timing but more to just adjust the existing timing if necessary (which seems to be not too often these days)?

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline King Puck

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:44 AM »
The opening monologue isn't timed at all, since it's always the same anyway.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 12:52:53 AM »
The opening monologue isn't timed at all, since it's always the same anyway.

Well, it recently changed, but fair enough.

Was my previous question correct? It would just help to know how I might go about trying this out.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline King Puck

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:16 AM »
Timing these days mostly means resetting the uneven lead-in/out of the existing Crunchyroll subtitles.

At least that's how I'm doing it. You simply align all subtitle timings exactly with the starts and ends of the lines.

Offline Beldarius

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $117,000,000 -
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
I'm really, really sorry for disappearing from the IRC after offering to help. School life bit me in the ass since I hadn't anticipated to be swamped with so much work from only five courses. *headdesk* I've barely had time to even watch anime or play games since September.

Sorry for all the trouble.
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2017, 11:38:38 PM »
I've barely had time to even watch anime or play games since September.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Same. In the past year I've had 2 computers die on me and am currently using my backup-backup laptop as my daily machine, a laptop which has a dodgy battery/power situation such that playing video files can cause the power to cut out. Oh, and it has potential to overheat. Between that, trying to afford an alternative, and usual life stuff, I too am sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,581,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
Hai guyz sorry but I work 27 hours a day and study four degrees and suddenly got a lot of school work all at once. Also twelve of my computers died last week and I am using a 200 year old abacus to connect to the internet now, otherwise I'd totally help.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
My post was following on from previously implying that I may be able to help in the future.

Your post just follows on from all the other times you've shared your lovely personality.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
My post was following on from previously implying that I may be able to help in the future.

Your post just follows on from all the other times you've shared your lovely personality.

Good that you understand. Well done for demonstrating your pattern recognition skills.

It's very cynical, yes, but after spending any amount of time in the fansubbing community (or any other sector of the internet with collaborative fan work etc) one is quite likely going to become bitter and tired with "I would help but excuses" posts. They don't help anyone and just look like the posters making themselves feel better for not helping (perhaps after first making an unrealistic claim of "I'll totally help some day" in the past and not being able to follow through with it just like the last 10 guys) and feeling a great need to go through this process in public.

Funny how no one ever posts "I have the time and knowledge to help but I just don't want to spend my free time on this". It's always a sudden influx of IRL problems or a broken computer or something which saves face. It's on the same level as "the dog ate my homework". Sure, this probably happened to some people, but it's become such a cliche at this point that anyone who has tried to recruit support for fansubbing/etc this way before probably feels as though at least half the messages of this kind they get are just self-serving commitment-dodging. It feels so disingenuous.

I don't really know or care what the balance between good and bad intentions anyone here has is, but in either case you could at least have the decency to not publicly grandstand about how you would have totally helped if not for bla bla bla. That's how I feel at least. Feel to disagree; blame my "lovely personality" via ad hominem if you prefer that as an easy get-out instead of trying to understand. (Lost count of how many times people on this site have started calling me a cunt to avoid admitting I'm right xD)

Offline Dan

• Freezing Hell
  • Bounty: $388,000,000 -
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
+1
Good that you understand. Well done for demonstrating your pattern recognition skills.

It's very cynical, yes, but after spending any amount of time in the fansubbing community (or any other sector of the internet with collaborative fan work etc) one is quite likely going to become bitter and tired with "I would help but excuses" posts. They don't help anyone and just look like the posters making themselves feel better for not helping (perhaps after first making an unrealistic claim of "I'll totally help some day" in the past and not being able to follow through with it just like the last 10 guys) and feeling a great need to go through this process in public.

Funny how no one ever posts "I have the time and knowledge to help but I just don't want to spend my free time on this". It's always a sudden influx of IRL problems or a broken computer or something which saves face. It's on the same level as "the dog ate my homework". Sure, this probably happened to some people, but it's become such a cliche at this point that anyone who has tried to recruit support for fansubbing/etc this way before probably feels as though at least half the messages of this kind they get are just self-serving commitment-dodging. It feels so disingenuous.

I don't really know or care what the balance between good and bad intentions anyone here has is, but in either case you could at least have the decency to not publicly grandstand about how you would have totally helped if not for bla bla bla. That's how I feel at least. Feel to disagree; blame my "lovely personality" via ad hominem if you prefer that as an easy get-out instead of trying to understand. (Lost count of how many times people on this site have started calling me a cunt to avoid admitting I'm right xD)

You’re not cynical, you’re just an asshole.

Your shitty and often gatekeeping attitude along with your acolyte-like friends are, more than anything else, the reason why this forum is quiet, regardless of your historical often high-effort posting.

Maybe if you weren’t such a douchebag we’d have some people here who actually have the time and skill to help the yibis crew do their good work. Leave the complaining to the people who are actually doing the work.

And go fuck yourself.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:01 AM »
I'll invoke Occam's razor here:

About a year ago I implied that I'd learn new computer-based skills to help Yibis.
In the past year, due to circumstances beyond my control, I've had multiple computers fail.
Recently someone else posted why they couldn't help Yibis, so I thought it appropriate and polite to do so as well.
Yes, this makes me feel better. Arguably that's why we do anything. Posting may not tangibly help anyone, but not posting may be perceived as ignoring Yibis's recruitment thread and so be the ruder option.

That's all that's happened here. That and you sarcastically mocking our situations, after which you then say we're not being decent. Even though you've seen these kinds of posts before you admit you're being very cynical, bitter and tired. It's possible that any feeling of disingenuousness or grandstanding is simply your problem that you're projecting.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »
You’re not cynical, you’re just an asshole.

These are not mutually exclusive. I have never earnestly denied this latter descriptor of my persona here.

blame my "lovely personality" via ad hominem if you prefer that as an easy get-out instead of trying to understand.

Also not mutually exclusive of finding people here very predictable.

your acolyte-like friends

I have those? Maybe you'd like to introduce me. Whoever you might be referring to, I'm not responsible for their actions, so in any case it somewhat shows the level at which irrationality and ire drive your post rather than rationale, that you have to invoke my imaginary disciples' behaviour to augment your attempt in denigrating me.

historical often high-effort posting.

Again, you might have to show me where you're getting some of this stuff from...

Your shitty and often gatekeeping attitude along with your acolyte-like friends are, more than anything else, the reason why this forum is quiet, regardless of your historical often high-effort posting.

That's an interesting hypothesis. Would you like to explain how you deduced this reason is more significant than any other proposed reason, such as: other people (other assholes), low release rate, increasing prevalence of official subs, lowered interest in OP anime overall, the cessation of low-res releases, stopping karaoke effects to the apparent dismay of many, that most of the regulars migrated to IRC in ~2010, or people getting older and not having as much time for anime forums?

I'm not, by the way, denying your comment. I'd just like to know how true it is in a quantitative sense. I'm fairly sure you're just throwing accusations at random, but just in case you have something more substantial on this point I'm asking.

And go fuck yourself.

You're welcome.

Just in general, anyone who'd like to insult or complain about me is free to do it directly (PM, email, etc - if forum settings block any of this let me know and I'll make a channel of communication possible somehow), rather than on an unrelated forum topic (though I think we did have a CL3-bashing thread one time).

I'll invoke Occam's razor here:

Not entirely convinced you know what this is from what follows but ok.

Even though you've seen these kinds of posts before you admit you're being very cynical, bitter and tired.

Yeah, well done reading my post. The point I was trying to infer was that I do these things with reason; that you would use them in this way to try and negate the point I made derived from them shows misunderstanding of my argument, at best.

It's possible that any feeling of disingenuousness or grandstanding is simply your problem that you're projecting.

What, regarding not helping Yibis? On this count, I admit: I have the time, skills, and experience to be of some help but just do not wish to spend the free time I have on fansubbing any more. I de-facto quit subbing in ~2011. Since then I have been in a serious interpersonal relationship and prefer to spend my time on this rather than sit alone editing .ass files. Though this is only part of the reason in the case of One Piece (though it remains the main reason why I stopped working on other projects with other groups); I also grew increasingly bored with the slow pace of the One Piece anime and didn't really want to watch it, never mind work on editing it, any more.

If you find it hypocritical that I can help but do not, yet complain about people whining about no releases, that is an understandable opinion. Regardless, appeal to hypocrisy is not a logically sound argument, so try harder if you were thinking of that.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2017, 03:13:45 AM »
The point I was trying to infer was that I do these things with reason; that you would use them in this way to try and negate the point I made derived from them shows misunderstanding of my argument, at best.
I negated your point by explaining what I did, my situation and intentions.
You undermined your argument by being sarcastic and mocking and describing yourself as cynical, bitter and tired.

If you find it hypocritical that I can help but do not, yet complain about people whining about no releases, that is an understandable opinion. Regardless, appeal to hypocrisy is not a logically sound argument, so try harder if you were thinking of that.
You said I was disingenuous and grandstanding.
Just because you feel something is happening doesn't mean reality agrees with you.

I disagree and will continue to assail your sense of decency.
If you don't care about my intentions then there's no pleasing you.