Author Topic: Join us, you slackers. Act IV - Electric Slackaloo  (Read 64491 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,649,000,000 -
  • Respect: +271
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Join us, you slackers. Act IV - Electric Slackaloo
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2016, 11:53:53 PM »
This was my initial concern. My knowledge of the Japanese language is very limited, so if a character/voice-over was giving a lengthy monologue then how would I know when the next line of subs should most appropriately appear? I'd be going more by the rhythm of their words, rather than actually knowing what they're saying.

When I get some time I'll try out a test example in Aegisub and see how I go.
For the record, I remember this happening at least once. Like, there was a scene way back in Marineford where Doflamingo was making a lengthy monologue to Crocodile and for a significant stretch of it, the timing was COMPLETELY off. I mean it didn't harm the story in any way as you still got WHAT he said, but the fact that the subtitles didn't sync up to WHEN he said it was a tad distracting...

But eh. At this point we're working off pretimed scripts anyway (not to mention most of the time I TLC after it's been timed and I'm picky about this sort of thing) so that's unlikely to happen any more.
This sure is a signature.

Offline King Puck

• Administrator
  • Bounty: $3,444,000,000 -
  • Respect: +600
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »
Can you douchebags please stop scaring people away with your stories?
Timers don't need to know japanese. If they did they would be translators.
That was true before there were Crunchyroll subs, and even more so now that there are.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,021,000,000 -
  • Respect: +81
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »
For the record, I remember this happening at least once. Like, there was a scene way back in Marineford where Doflamingo was making a lengthy monologue to Crocodile and for a significant stretch of it, the timing was COMPLETELY off. I mean it didn't harm the story in any way as you still got WHAT he said, but the fact that the subtitles didn't sync up to WHEN he said it was a tad distracting...

But eh. At this point we're working off pretimed scripts anyway (not to mention most of the time I TLC after it's been timed and I'm picky about this sort of thing) so that's unlikely to happen any more.

I was thinking more of even just the opening monologue/voice-over "The goals: the final island, Raftel... and the greatest treasure in the world, One Piece! etc."

However, if you're working off pretimed scripts from Crunchyroll, then would I be correct in thinking that the job of a timer is not so much to do the timing but more to just adjust the existing timing if necessary (which seems to be not too often these days)?

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline King Puck

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:44 AM »
The opening monologue isn't timed at all, since it's always the same anyway.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,021,000,000 -
  • Respect: +81
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 12:52:53 AM »
The opening monologue isn't timed at all, since it's always the same anyway.

Well, it recently changed, but fair enough.

Was my previous question correct? It would just help to know how I might go about trying this out.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline King Puck

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:16 AM »
Timing these days mostly means resetting the uneven lead-in/out of the existing Crunchyroll subtitles.

At least that's how I'm doing it. You simply align all subtitle timings exactly with the starts and ends of the lines.