Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 24358 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,690,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
I don't recall being overly fond of season 3's ending though, mostly because of the obnoxiously transparent "The Doctor is Jesus!" imagery and the fact that, relatedly, the conflict was essentially solved by Clap Your Hands If You Believe.
Utopia was brilliant on its own though. This, incidentally, will not be the last time a finale starts off great and I end up disappointed by the resolution.
This sure is a signature.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,817,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2016, 06:17:12 PM »
I don't recall being overly fond of season 3's ending though, mostly because of the obnoxiously transparent "The Doctor is Jesus!" imagery and the fact that, relatedly, the conflict was essentially solved by Clap Your Hands If You Believe.
Utopia was brilliant on its own though. This, incidentally, will not be the last time a finale starts off great and I end up disappointed by the resolution.

Well, as I said, the finales seem to all end in some deus ex machina mumbo jumbo reverse-the-polarity-then-some-magic solution. I mean, an even more outrageous one than the regular ones. It was Rose on Season 1, now it was the Doctor's turn. Not the greatest resolution, yeah, especially considering how apparently destroying the Paradox Machine would revert everything anyway so it would have just made sense that the plan was meant to do that, and the Doctor would rejuvenate as a consequence (I also considered the possibility that the gun did not kill a Time Lord but gave them back their full power - for some reason - and Martha was tricking the Master into using it on the Doctor).
So yeah, I had at least two better ideas about the ending. Still, liked a lot of it, especially when the Master still let himself die (in your face, Doctor! Seriously, sometimes your peculiar brand of "mercy" is kind of horribly cruel. You ought to understand that). It probably helped that I watched it back-to-back with The Sound of the Drums so I didn't have too much time to form expectations and have them crushed.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,035,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2016, 01:20:08 AM »
Well, Season 3 really, REALLY ended with a bang. After the great double episode of Human Nature we got Blink - pretty amazing and really tightly plotted horror/time travel story - then the trilogy of Utopia / The Sound of the Drums / Last of the Time Lords which was my favourite season finale yet. Very well oiled plot, reusing a lot of carefully placed foreshadowing (they always do that but this time they really outdid themselves), a bit of a deus ex resolution but not as serious as the Season 1 ending.

Now apparently the Titanic crashed into the TARDIS  :face-rofl. This fucking show.
I remember preferring the series 2 ending, but it's been a while. I might be biased against series 3 because it has Martha, who is my least favourite companion in NuWho. I just didn't like how they wrote her as Rose-lite, i.e. another woman who's in love with The Doctor. Fortunately, series 4 fixes this perfectly.  :face-lol

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
I remember preferring the series 2 ending, but it's been a while. I might be biased against series 3 because it has Martha, who is my least favourite companion in NuWho. I just didn't like how they wrote her as Rose-lite, i.e. another woman who's in love with The Doctor. Fortunately, series 4 fixes this perfectly.  :face-lol

Well, Doomsday was quite the show (DAT FACEOFF between Daleks and Cybermen. "YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING". Sassy little killer-robo-thing  :face-rofl). But the ending was so vague I literally can't remember what the hell did they use to save the day. Like, splitting dimensions, and sucking the Daleks in the void, or something? I remember Rose being trapped of course, that was the highlight, but the point is, the conclusion to the story felt quite the rushed asspull. Which seems to be a staple of season finales, but at least this one had it less for me. Also the Master was an awesome villain, he was like Moriarty found his way in Doctor Who.
And at this point I strongly suspect I'm going to see more of Donna, because I know from memes she wasn't just in that one wedding episode. Which if true is absolutely awesome because she was all kinds of great  :face-lol.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
Well, Doomsday was quite the show (DAT FACEOFF between Daleks and Cybermen. "YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING". Sassy little killer-robo-thing  :face-rofl). But the ending was so vague I literally can't remember what the hell did they use to save the day. Like, splitting dimensions, and sucking the Daleks in the void, or something? I remember Rose being trapped of course, that was the highlight, but the point is, the conclusion to the story felt quite the rushed asspull. Which seems to be a staple of season finales, but at least this one had it less for me. Also the Master was an awesome villain, he was like Moriarty found his way in Doctor Who.
And at this point I strongly suspect I'm going to see more of Donna, because I know from memes she wasn't just in that one wedding episode. Which if true is absolutely awesome because she was all kinds of great  :face-lol.
Well that's rare... Somebody who actually liked Donna in The Runaway Bride. I mean, she is the greatest companion in New Who by far, but it wasn't until she returned as a full-time companion that I started to really like her.

Also funny you should mention Moriarty... I hear that way back in the day, around the time the producers realized that they had to make the Doctor himself a more compelling lead who could carry the show on his own, (Originally it was specifically intended to be his first companion Ian who was the main character) their solution was apparently "Let's put some Sherlock Holmes in him!" So in that regard, of course the Master would be a Moriarty-esque character!

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
Well that's rare... Somebody who actually liked Donna in The Runaway Bride. I mean, she is the greatest companion in New Who by far, but it wasn't until she returned as a full-time companion that I started to really like her.

Also funny you should mention Moriarty... I hear that way back in the day, around the time the producers realized that they had to make the Doctor himself a more compelling lead who could carry the show on his own, (Originally it was specifically intended to be his first companion Ian who was the main character) their solution was apparently "Let's put some Sherlock Holmes in him!" So in that regard, of course the Master would be a Moriarty-esque character!

And that the New Who Master would share eerie similarity with the modern Sherlock Moriarty... well, after all, Moffat has his hands in both.

About Donna, I guess she can come off as annoying in that episode, but I saw the germs of greatness in her. Mostly because of her snark and how she WASN'T insta-smitten by the Doctor, which is kind of a plus. I like the idea of a strong-headed companion who doesn't adore him like Rose or worse take shit from him like Martha.

Offline Luchia

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $609,000,000 -
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2016, 07:22:43 PM »
About Donna, I guess she can come off as annoying in that episode, but I saw the germs of greatness in her. Mostly because of her snark and how she WASN'T insta-smitten by the Doctor, which is kind of a plus. I like the idea of a strong-headed companion who doesn't adore him like Rose or worse take shit from him like Martha.

Couldn't agree more. Like that's why I liked her so much. "Ok he's the Doctor so what... I have my own mind, I can think for myself and I am not afraid to tell him he's wrong." Amy had a few similar features with her, but Donna was Donna. I miss her.
Dreams, that bring people together.

If you want to stalk me and my friends cosplay on FB be welcome: https://www.facebook.com/omgeverythingistaken

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
Watched "Voyage of the Damned", the Christmas special about the Titanic spaceship.

Well, that was silly  :face-rofl. Also, Futurama did it better. Still got some priceless moments (the Doctor being raised by flying robot angels anyone?). But mostly pretty silly. Also Kylie Minogue = shortest lived companion ever. Next episode Donna's back!

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »
I haven't even seen the latest season but of course I had to check out the announcement of who's gonna be the next Doctor and...

Well. We can officially kiss gender-pronouns for the Doctor good-bye. Fuck that's gonna make discussing the character perpetually awkward for the rest of time.

I mean, as long as the performance is good that's the most important thing I guess, just... that's gonna take some getting used to.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
Well, this is going to at least make it easier for male and female fans to agree on the proposition that there's at least one version of the Doctor that we find attractive.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
I already was okay with that. Being that my reaction to the Eighth Doctor had always been "I'm straight but that is one sexy man."

Honestly though, I'm glad that we're getting this at the same time that Moffat is stepping down. Because while Moffat might have been able to give off the impression in the earlier seasons that he could write good female characters, it became pretty evident over the course of his run as showrunner that he could only write one female character. Seriously, just try to tell me that River Song, Amy Pond and Clara Oswald aren't basically the same person. Can't really say much about Bill yet being that I've only seen the first episode of the new season but from that episode, the only real distinguishing trait she seemed to have to set her apart from the other three was "I'm a lesbian".

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2017, 11:10:28 PM »
Seriously, just try to tell me that River Song, Amy Pond and Clara Oswald aren't basically the same person.

What do you mean? One is a spunky, assertive, domineering independent woman, and the others are... oh, right.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
You know, come to think of it... Steven Moffat actually predicted this way back in 1999 in his first ever script for Doctor Who.

Note that Moffat was apparently not involved in any way with the casting of Jodie Whittaker.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
I caught back up on the series the other day. Series 10 was... okay. It didn't really have any stand-out, AMAZING episodes, but at the same time, it never came anywhere near the sheer infuriating terribleness of stuff like Hell Bent. The worst we got was probably Knock Knock and the whole three-parter with the monks, both of which suffered from the same problem of having the entire conflict being based off the characters being complete and utter morons. Still, for the first time Capaldi actually got a pretty good season finale! And also the last time seeing how this is his final season and he only has one more appearance to go... But still. Nice of them to tone it down a bit and make the stakes more personal rather than "ALL OF REALITY IS ON THE LINE!!!!", and the return of John Simm as the Master was pretty neat. Though, as usual with the whole "Oh no he's totally dead this time for real you guys!" Show... Just don't. I don't think there's a single person left on planet Earth who will ever actually buy that. Oh sure, you left the Master in what seemed to be a completely inescapable situation, but... what else is new? Michelle Gomez might be done with the character from what I hear, but we'll see the Master again eventually.

Also, I hear that the Doctor was apparently supposed to regenerate in The Doctor Falls and it's only due to Executive Meddling that we're still getting one final outing with Capaldi. Not really a huge fan of that, as I feel like using the Christmas special to properly introduce the new Doctor just feels like a better move than going "MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! And your Christmas present is us killing off the current incarnation of the Doctor!  :face-lol" Oh well. At least this year's Christmas special looks like it's gonna be an interesting one.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,035,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2017, 07:35:16 AM »
Pretty much agree with you.

I didn't think Moffat could write decent endings. Everything I've seen from Coupling, Sherlock, and Matt Smith's Doctor ended quite poorly compared to where they began.

So for me The Doctor Falls was a pleasant surprise. Here's hoping Moffat goes out on a high.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."