Author Topic: Dragon Ball  (Read 108410 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,696,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Dragon Ball
« Reply #795 on: October 11, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
It's not like the show looks consistently great now either. It's a Toei show. Sometimes it will look great, more often it will range from "passable" to "eye-bleedingly hideous". These two episodes looked great, sure... But it's pretty clear that they put in a lot of extra effort and manpower into these particular episodes.
This sure is a signature.

Online rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $974,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #796 on: October 15, 2017, 06:28:10 AM »
So a couple of thoughts I've been having:
- Universe 2 is really starting to get on my nerves. Yeah, it's all a giant parody on magical girls and all. But if I have to hear one more line about their love, I'm going to strangle someone. :-_-
- Where the crap does Jiren get his power from? Is he something like Universe 11's equivalent to pure Buu with the addition of Frieza's "natural-born strength + training = Enel-like" mentality?
- Also, the manga said Toppo was with the Universe 11 group during the meeting because he's training to be the next G.od of Destruction. I thought it would be Jiren. Isn't Jiren stronger? Also, don't both Toppo and Jiren have a sense of justice that would normally oppose what the G.od of Destruction is all about or something? Ah, forget it. It's not like Dragon Ball to use logic anymore anyway. :face-normal
- Also, did the Universe 6 Namekians finally show up? Just how many fighters have we yet to see actually do anything?
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,835,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #797 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
- Also, the manga said Toppo was with the Universe 11 group during the meeting because he's training to be the next G.od of Destruction. I thought it would be Jiren. Isn't Jiren stronger? Also, don't both Toppo and Jiren have a sense of justice that would normally oppose what the G.od of Destruction is all about or something? Ah, forget it. It's not like Dragon Ball to use logic anymore anyway. :face-normal

This doesn't necessarily not make sense. First, in theory a G.od of Destruction's role is as necessary as that of the Kaioshin,  in a grand cosmic balance sense. Just because Beerus is lousy at his job and only kills planets who piss him off doesn't mean everyone has to be. So, while taking the role of a destroyer that purges the Universe from those planets and races that hold it back might seem a bit of a dark deal, it's not necessarily something that Toppo wouldn't want to do. It is certainly also considered a great honour in a Universe where the G.ods actively cooperate with the mortals instead of sleeping and showing up every 30 years or so.
Second, might be it's Toppo and not Jiren because Jiren is simply not interested? Guy was like "yeah, I defeated everyone who was near my level so fuck it, you do the rest" so I can't imagine he'd be very gung-ho with the job of going around destroying weak shit. In addition, if becoming G.od of Destruction grants additional special powers, someone might feel piling up even MORE powers on top of his would be somewhat careless.

About Universe 2, yeah, I was hoping for that scene to be a gag where they were both sent flying out of the ring by some random guy soon as they finished cheering each other up but alas, that was not the case  :face-normal.

Offline MrRandomJr

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $771,000,000 -
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #798 on: October 15, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
We haven't actually seen any special abilities that the Gods of Destruction have that others can't achieve. They're just really fucking strong, the Angels have all the fancy skills. You probably mean the thing we've seen the most "Destruction", which Beerus used on Zamasu and other people, but Goku used it as well in the manga (which I'd consider a bit more cannon).

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,835,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #799 on: October 15, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
We haven't actually seen any special abilities that the Gods of Destruction have that others can't achieve. They're just really fucking strong, the Angels have all the fancy skills. You probably mean the thing we've seen the most "Destruction", which Beerus used on Zamasu and other people, but Goku used it as well in the manga (which I'd consider a bit more cannon).

I was going by anime standards, in which Hakai is indeed a special attack reserved for G.o.D.s. But anyway we know a G.o.D.'s life is tied to his Kaioshin's, so there must be something that changes in them when they get chosen for the position. A ritual, something. One would imagine such a weak point is a trade off for getting something else in exchange.

Online rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #800 on: October 17, 2017, 02:59:39 AM »

Okay, I take back anything bad I may have said about the English dub of Super. This. Is. Amazing! I love Cabba's English voice. And knowing Greg Ayres and Matt Mercer do Frost and Hit respectively, I already know I'm going to love them, too. :face-rofl
My Anime List

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,696,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #801 on: October 17, 2017, 09:25:57 AM »
On one hand I guess them casting Chris Ayres's brother to play Frost makes sense being that he's essentially a Freeza-clone... On the other hand, in Japan they had literally the same voice, and this was commented on in the show as well, so I don't really get why they didn't just get Chris Ayres to play both.
This sure is a signature.

Online rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #802 on: October 17, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
Maybe Chris didn't have the skill to do both. It's not like they don't try. Goku and Gohan as kids have the same VA in every dub I know. Or maybe Funi or Toei thought it was better to use Greg while they still had him available due to Greg now doing Guldo and all that. I don't know.
My Anime List