Author Topic: Dragon Ball  (Read 87572 times)

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,739,000,000 -
  • Respect: +549
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
Re: Dragon Ball
« Reply #585 on: February 15, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »
I'm still slowly catching up on DBS. Next up is Vegeta vs Purple Assassin Guy from Fat Beerus's universe. The preceding fight was okayish, at least compared to the previous opponents, consisting of an overpowered Gundam, Chinese Fake Freeza, and Winnie the Pooh.

Those nicknames :face-rofl. I've only read this part in the manga so I don't know if and how many differences there are, but Frost is indeed a rather lame character, while I like Cabba well enough (they added him to Xenoverse 2 btw in the last DLC and he's pretty awesome there!). Hit is the only one that makes me think perhaps I should go check his fights' episodes though, because seeing him animated would probably be worth it (especially considering how awesome all his attacks look in Xenoverse 2).

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,649,000,000 -
  • Respect: +271
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #586 on: February 15, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
EDIT: and of course I only wrote this having watched up to episode 66 and thinking THAT was the end. Knowing nothing of episode 67 that goes straight out into End of Evangelion levels of mindfuck, which is not something I would have expected of Dragonball. Being Future Trunks is suffering.
As I've been saying before, episode 67 genuinely pissed me off. That ending just rendered the entire rest of the arc meaningless because literally nothing Trunks, Goku and Vegeta did amounted to anything. Though the new arc is looking like it might help fix it somewhat by using that massive middle finger from episode 67 as a plot-point.
This sure is a signature.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #587 on: February 15, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
As I've been saying before, episode 67 genuinely pissed me off. That ending just rendered the entire rest of the arc meaningless because literally nothing Trunks, Goku and Vegeta did amounted to anything. Though the new arc is looking like it might help fix it somewhat by using that massive middle finger from episode 67 as a plot-point.

I'd say it goes beyond that, because it retroactively makes moot even the entire arc of Future Trunks' life starting with the Android Saga. History of Trunks? Pointless. Trunks going back to the future, destroying the Androids and Cell? Pointless. I mean, I understand everything has to die eventually but holy shit, they just genocided an entire timeline as if it was nothing. And it's all kickstarted by Zamasu pulling off an absolutely bullshit power that no g.od has ever been shown even close to having anyway up to that point. I mean, let's face it... the whole thing was at Bleach levels of asspullery.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #588 on: February 15, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
I'm still slowly catching up on DBS. Next up is Vegeta vs Purple Assassin Guy from Fat Beerus's universe. The preceding fight was okayish, at least compared to the previous opponents, consisting of an overpowered Gundam, Chinese Fake Freeza, and Winnie the Pooh.
The last few fights in the tournament are easily the best ones. While I liked the ideas for the earlier fights, (opponents who are nowhere near as strong as Goku and Vegeta, but who still put up a fight due to their unconventional abilities and techniques... I had been wanting that for ages) the poor animation and pacing really let them down. The Hit battle managed to be genuinely cool however.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,474,000,000 -
  • Respect: +721
    • My Anime List
« Reply #589 on: February 15, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »
I'll look forward to hopefully not being disappointed by the Hit fights then (assuming more than one since otherwise we don't get to see what exactly the deal with Monaka is and Goku doesn't get to do much either). With some luck I will get around to watching it over the next week or two if it's not too drawn out.

I think my favourite episode so far was the one where Goku and Vegeta had to do chores around the sleeping Beerus while avoiding being obliterated by his sleep-fighting. Just generally, Beerus and Whis are the most compelling new elements since Super started I guess. Golden Freeza was ok by DB standards but badly executed in both versions, this tournament is largely meh so far and I can easily live without Jaco.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #590 on: February 15, 2017, 07:18:26 PM »
I'd say it goes beyond that, because it retroactively makes moot even the entire arc of Future Trunks' life starting with the Android Saga. History of Trunks? Pointless. Trunks going back to the future, destroying the Androids and Cell? Pointless. I mean, I understand everything has to die eventually but holy shit, they just genocided an entire timeline as if it was nothing. And it's all kickstarted by Zamasu pulling off an absolutely bullshit power that no g.od has ever been shown even close to having anyway up to that point. I mean, let's face it... the whole thing was at Bleach levels of asspullery.
And yet when the episode came out, a lot of people actually praised the ending! Why? From what I could tell, "because it was unpredictable and ballsy". Yeah well it would also have been unpredictable if Darth Vader suddenly showed up and killed every single named character and then Dragon Ball became the story of Darth Vader, but that doesn't mean that this would be in any way a good idea. And I tried to ask the question, "What was the message of this whole story? What are we meant to take from it?" and the only response I remember getting: "You can't always win and sometimes you've gotta accept that." So basically, Trunks should have just let everyone die without a fight? Because the situation was unfixable from the beginning? Fuck off, even Gen Urobuchi would probably look at that message and say "That's a bit too depressing, don't you think?"

But again, the new arc has already established that the Omni-King fully intends to destroy the universes of whoever loses the tournament, so that could kinda redeem this whole mess by making it just a clear demonstration of exactly what's at stake here should Goku and the others lose. That said though, when this is all over... I want that guy to be the final boss of the show. Because with this, "Zen-chan" has proven himself to be infinitely worse than Freeza or Cell ever were. The dude is literally planning to destroy 11/12 of everything that ever existed... just 'cause.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #591 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
And yet when the episode came out, a lot of people actually praised the ending! Why? From what I could tell, "because it was unpredictable and ballsy". Yeah well it would also have been unpredictable if Darth Vader suddenly showed up and killed every single named character and then Dragon Ball became the story of Darth Vader, but that doesn't mean that this would be in any way a good idea. And I tried to ask the question, "What was the message of this whole story? What are we meant to take from it?" and the only response I remember getting: "You can't always win and sometimes you've gotta accept that." So basically, Trunks should have just let everyone die without a fight? Because the situation was unfixable from the beginning? Fuck off, even Gen Urobuchi would probably look at that message and say "That's a bit too depressing, don't you think?"

But again, the new arc has already established that the Omni-King fully intends to destroy the universes of whoever loses the tournament, so that could kinda redeem this whole mess by making it just a clear demonstration of exactly what's at stake here should Goku and the others lose. That said though, when this is all over... I want that guy to be the final boss of the show. Because with this, "Zen-chan" has proven himself to be infinitely worse than Freeza or Cell ever were. The dude is literally planning to destroy 11/12 of everything that ever existed... just 'cause.

Yeah, 'twas weird because the entire Goku Black arc had sort of a theme that G.ods going around and spouting their bullshit moral judgements over mortals were assholes and mortals could carve their own path and shouldn't be judged for it, and the ending of 66 seemed to support that, which Trunks embodied the best... but then episode 67 actually brought home the point that NO, G.ods will fuck your shit up for arbitrary reasons and there's not a damn thing you can do because they are uncaring, unfeeling and whimsical and you are but putty in their hands.
I read some time ago that the original "Journey to the West" novel (which I plan to read at some point) represented both G.ods and the clergy as either incompetent, stupid, or assholes, and I wonder if this is where Dragonball got its goofy representation of the universal hierarchy. Except until now G.ods were silly and incompetent perhaps but ultimately good-natured. From Beerus on we started to really see the scary side of it: G.ods that are truly powerful and will terminate your life without a moment's thought, while STILL being silly and incompetent.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #592 on: February 18, 2017, 04:22:07 PM »
Going forward I have to say it's immensely bizarre to notice that while the 'arc' episodes occasionally left me tepid I'm immensely enjoying the 'filler' ones. Goku vs. Arale and the baseball game were hilarious, the Hit mini arc was genuinely enjoyable (even had some hints of a Jojo-esque approach to battles never seen before in DBZ) and now the Great Saiyaman movie arc is pretty fun too. It's like the writers actually put more effort into these ones.

EDIT: wait, arrogant asshole loses face because of nerdy superhero, gets infected by alien parasite, comes back for revenge... this is basically the Spiderman/Venom origin story, isn't it  :face-rofl?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:34:33 PM by Gan_HOPE326 »

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $915,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2017, 06:17:03 AM »
I'm more the other way around. I didn't like the fillers. Yes, the Arale and Baseball episodes were funny. Some of them have been pretty funny. But they feel really cheesy and poorly written to me...

Just finished the latest episode and I have to say I like how they've got Gohan in the exhibition matches. Possibly trying to redeem the fact he was missing during the previous tournament. Gohan has always been my favourite character from Dragon Ball (if that wasn't already obvious) and I hated how they made him more laidback after the Cell Games, even if he had a good reason to be. Since then, my 2nd favourite Vegeta has been closing the gap, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Gohan fairs in this exhibition match.
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
I'm now watching the Krillin Training Arc and enjoying that too. It's all these little nods, and acknowledging of a lot of things (like the effects of the power creep on the rest of the cast, left behind) that were merely hinted in DBZ and are getting fleshed out. I think this is in fact the best example of filler done right: using it to explore small sides of the characters who are usually out of the spotlight rather than making poor mock-ups of the regular battle arcs. It's like fanfiction, but, well, good fanfiction, not horrible erotic one  :face-rofl.

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Oh, I forgot about the Krillin one. And I really liked it, too. I actually do like how Super is addressing the weaker characters. I don't hate all fillers.
My Anime List

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »
So, anyone thinks Gohan has a chance of getting out of this alive?

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #597 on: February 19, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
So, anyone thinks Gohan has a chance of getting out of this alive?
Super is placed between the last 2 episodes of Z. So of course he will. I don't think he'll win, though...
My Anime List

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #598 on: February 19, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
Super is placed between the last 2 episodes of Z. So of course he will. I don't think he'll win, though...

Well, it's not like he can't be brought back... and the wolf guy said he was willing to kill. As for Zen-Ou, he just won't give a fuck about stopping the fight until one of the two is incapacitated.

Online MrRandomJr

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $733,000,000 -
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #599 on: February 19, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
I feel like Gohan's going to lose. Just to make Goku's fight a tad bit more interesting. I curious though how far has Gohan came after the resurrection of F.