Author Topic: News worth our time  (Read 458952 times)

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,035,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
Re: News worth our time
« Reply #4140 on: May 09, 2017, 02:01:48 AM »

In short, if you're American, equal access to online information is once again under serious threat. John Oliver encourages internet commenters to voice their displeasure to the FCC by visiting www.gofccyourself.com and clicking "express" to file your comment.

That comment should be something along the lines of "I support strong net neutrality backed by Title II oversight of ISPs."

And even if you're not American, perhaps do it too. Sometimes what happens in America can spread.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,817,000,000 -
  • Respect: +555
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #4141 on: May 12, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
I'm having a surreal discussion on FB with some guy who supports Trump on this piece of news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-issues-sweeping-new-criminal-charging-policy/2017/05/11/4752bd42-3697-11e7-b373-418f6849a004_story.html?tid=ss_fb-bottom&utm_term=.d1668c9d4606

Him: "Good, only Trump could do this as he's not on anyone's pay book, the prison system has everyone else in their pockets."
Me: "But it says that Sessions cancelled a previous memo saying to avoid big mandatory minimum sentences, so this makes for longer sentences, so surely this advantages the prison system?"
Him: "No, it says they removed the mandatory minimum sentences."
Me: "What? It clearly says Holder suggested not to use them, but now Sessions walked back on that."
Him: "No it's the other way around."
Me: "..."

I swear, I've never realised self-delusion could get THIS bad. This is literally hallucinating, reading one text and understanding the completely opposite thing of what it says  :face-dizzy.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #4142 on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:30 AM »
Sessions cancelled a previous memo saying to avoid big mandatory minimum sentences,

The U.S. has become so negative it's become double negative and is confusing Trump supporters.   :face-surprised

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,531,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #4143 on: May 18, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
Trump says "no politician in history ... has been treated worse or more unfairly" than him

This is even more reminiscent of a whining toddler who isn't getting his/her own way than his usual crap. Wah wah wah everyone is being mean to me, this is unfair.

Even just going by US presidents I think Lincoln and Kennedy would have to disagree that they were treated better than Trump.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #4144 on: May 19, 2017, 01:00:40 AM »
Trump says "no politician in history ... has been treated worse or more unfairly" than him

Trump is the best at being treated the worst.

His unfair treatment is the biggest, most unfairest treatment you've ever seen, folks.

Tremendous.

Offline Dan

• Supernova
  • Bounty: $387,000,000 -
  • Respect: +24

Offline Ing. User

• Typo
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $646,000,000 -
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #4146 on: September 05, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
One of the longest sieges in modern history, the Siege of Deir Ezzor, has been broken today. (Part of) the city of Deir Ezzor has been besieged by ISIS for 1150 days, the siege was broken today.
Cui bono?

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,531,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #4147 on: September 05, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
Never heard of it. I suppose it's more important that the newspapers talk about the shoes worn by the wives of politicians, and whenever some vapid actor divorces his eighth wife, though.  :face-normal

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
  • Bounty: $914,000,000 -
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #4148 on: September 06, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
Just googled that, what remains of the city is tragic.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ing. User

• Typo
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $646,000,000 -
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #4149 on: September 07, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »
Just googled that, what remains of the city is tragic.
(click to show/hide)
That's actually an old photo, but I haven't seen any recent photos. It might sound silly, but it appears that the cameras left in Deir Ezzor are only capable of taking 240p photos/videos.

For example, this is the video when the two forces actually met, the quality is terrible:

There are a bunch of reporters in the pocket, but I guess we have to wait a few days for proper videos about the siege.

Anyway, the situation in the pocket was pretty terrible. Even though there were food drops, food was scarce. Same with medicine etc. But even though there is no proper road connecting the pocket to other Syrian cities, aid has already been sent. The task now is to secure the highway to Deir Ezzor so aid can be shipped in even in bad weather. Another task would be to break the southern Deir Ezzor siege since the pocket got split a while ago.

Map of the general situation:

Food convoy (40 trucks):

Small-ish medical convoy:

The annoying thing is that even though this is a major victory over ISIS, it's underreported in the west. Deir Ezzor was the only city in Syria 'controlled' by ISIS, on the map I posted the grey areas are the only major areas ISIS still controls in Syria (There are 2 other small pockets left, one near the Golan and one in Damascus). This push created another massive pocket, since bridges across the Euphrates are destroyed, so a whole bunch of ISIS terrorists are locked in without supply. The thing you read in the news (if you even managed to spot it burried under bullshit news)? "Assad Regime broke the Deir Ezzor siege". The article on a major Dutch news website didn't even say "liberated", only that it had broken the siege imposed by ISIS.

And the next day UN released 'news' about how they totes-mcgotes had proof that the Syrian government did do that chemical attack in Khan Shaykun. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't, I haven't actually read the report. I only have two things to say about it. A) Why is this information relevant? and B) Nice timing, trying to shame the Syrian government one day after they achieved a major victory over ISIS.

Current situation in Syria and Iraq:
Cui bono?

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #4150 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
It's not all that silly I suppose, when an entire city is destroyed how could there be thousand dollar cameras left. Maybe a few smartphones here and there. I'm already happy that the 240p video isn't in vertical view.

Also, 3-5 ambulances for an entire city? Better than nothing I guess.
It's underreported indeed but there are those who write a proper article about it; https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/05/syrian-army-breaks-years-long-isis-siege-on-deir-ez-zor

They also covered it in belgian national news but not very detailed.
As for the map, I don't really understand it without a legenda. My middle-east war knowledge is very limited so i can't deduce which forces represent which color.

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
« Reply #4151 on: September 08, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
http://news.trust.org/item/20170908050116-wvzxh
8.3 magnitude earthquake hits coast of Southern Mexico.
Additional info from reddit comment;

Hi all! Your earthquake perspective here.

What you need to know:

Magnitude: Originally an 8.0, the USGS has updated their magnitude to an 8.1. Their Mexican counterparts place this quake as an 8.4.

Location: 96km SW of Pijijiapan, Mexico. This is offshore and means there is a risk of Tsunami.

Depth: The Depth has been updated from 33km to 69.7km, making this pretty deep.

Intensity of Shaking: The Shakemap has been updated to show that Violent (XI) shaking is expected to have been felt on the West Coast of Mexico and Guatemala. The Did You Feel It Reports show that people all the way in Guatemala felt this event. Mexican reports closer to the epicentre reflect the same Severe (XI) shaking, however the number of reports right now are limited. If you felt this quake, please Fill this Report out!

Pager: RED

Expected Fatalities:

Expected Fatalities   Probability (%)
11-100   10
101-1000   28
1,001-10,000   35
10,001-100,000   20
100,001+   7
Expected Costs:

Expected Costs (USD)   Probability (%)
$100m-$1b   4
$1b-$10b   16
$10b-$100b   33
$100b-$1T   31
$1T+   16
Tsunami: Currently a Tsunami threat for the west coast of Central America. Not a warning as of writing this report. If, however, you are on the west coast of Central America, please follow all emergency guidance.

Aftershocks: This is a very large quake, which brings with it a risk of larger aftershocks around the 7.0 level, and even more 6.0's etc. Due to the location however, you may not feel all of them.