Author Topic: Episode Agony Thread  (Read 2755431 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,695,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Episode Agony Thread
« Reply #21285 on: July 22, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
i used to run a fansub group for about 3 years. its not that hard
Oh I'm sorry, I'm sure your amazing leadership skills can magically solve Jules's time problems or get us more editors who are just as good as him. And more timers and translation-checkers too. Surely the complete lack of any applicants is something we can fix by just trying harder.
This sure is a signature.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,542,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21286 on: July 22, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
Didn't you know Vegy? Everyone on the internet is an expert on everything with years of experience in the thing they're arguing about. Even when it's hard to believe because they show a lack of understanding of even the basic truths, and can't back up their claims of experience either, surprisingly they are still experts, it turns out.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #21287 on: July 22, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Didn't you know Vegy? Everyone on the internet is an expert on everything with years of experience in the thing they're arguing about. Even when it's hard to believe because they show a lack of understanding of even the basic truths, and can't back up their claims of experience either, surprisingly they are still experts, it turns out.
Ah, sounds an awful lot like this guy I tried to talk some sense into just yesterday. This is completely off-topic, but basically it's been announced that the Studio Ghibli movies have been licensed by GKIDS who are going to be re-releasing all of them in the US, and there was this one guy on AnimeNewsNetwork who was insisting that they were totally going to make new dubs of them... despite the fact that they've already revealed the coverart for all of the movies, which still list the old dub-cast, and the fact that I quoted a mail from the company itself and linked to their official Twitter account, both of which said that they were just gonna use the old dubs because that's what Ghibli themselves wanted...

The dude just responded with "Yeah well personally they are gonna redub them". What. You are either a troll or you make the current president of the US look intelligent.

Offline kingwolf

• King of Wolves and Lord of Catgirls
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $386,000,000 -
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #21288 on: July 23, 2017, 02:08:05 AM »
im thinking both lol.
"I lose my memory little by little with each day. Soon, time will eventually make me forget. But for now, I'll never forget your warm heart." From the flash "I won't forget" by Snow-Studios at Newgrounds

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21289 on: July 23, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
"Yeah well personally they are gonna redub them"

The correct response in situations like this:

You are either a troll or you make the current president of the US look intelligent.

They reply : "The current US president is Isaac Newton, of course he looks intelligent."

Vegy : *Provides evidence that the president of the US is Donald Trump.*

They reply : "Yeah well personally the president is Newton."

Offline kingwolf

• Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #21290 on: July 26, 2017, 02:21:27 AM »
LOL omg im dying roflmao
"I lose my memory little by little with each day. Soon, time will eventually make me forget. But for now, I'll never forget your warm heart." From the flash "I won't forget" by Snow-Studios at Newgrounds

Offline tai-man

• Freezing Hell
  • Bounty: $398,000,000 -
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #21291 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:00 AM »
Aaaaah, nothing like finishing a 60 eps marathon of our favorite animé!

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21292 on: July 27, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
Oh Enel the resident shitposter is back

Offline tai-man

• Freezing Hell
« Reply #21293 on: August 02, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »
I see someone miiiissed meeeee! :badlove I've been away for some time, but safe to say, I never really left, son<3

It sure is wonderful to see you again, Christopher :face-smile How's life treating you? How's the fam'ly? What are you up to these days?

Well, knowing a rascal like you, and I think I do, prolly some o' that good ol' mischief of yours, I bet! :icon_pirat Just remember to stay safe out there :face-lol

The agony is back with a vengeance, and in a brief moment of despair an episode from the linguistic cesspool that is HorribleSubs

found its way to my retina (at a friend's place.) I couldn't make it past the intro... "King of Pirates"だと?英語でおk、アホ!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #21294 on: August 02, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
...Out of all the things to criticize Toei's mediocre translation for, you pick "King of the Pirates"? It's the exact same thing just phrased differently.

Offline tai-man

• Freezing Hell
« Reply #21295 on: August 03, 2017, 06:01:06 AM »
Hahaha, I could've pointed a number of things out, albeit I didn't make it past the intro... And no, it's not the exact same thing, and I'd think you as a linguist and fansubber would agree. It's a great example of the difference between translation and good translation. I know you're well familiar with the Japanese "の", as it is prolly one of the most diverse and complex particles in the Japanese language next to "に", but in this particular case it's very straight forward. "King of Pirates" is a somewhat clumsy and unnecessarily elongated translation of "海賊王", which is a term in both English and Japanese, and not, of course "海賊の王." So no, I think this very central theme of One Piece was, and is, a great example of the difference between yibis and, as you correctly say, Toei's subpar translation. Given that I, as mentioned, couldn't make it past the damn intro XD (Please note all the opportunities I had to abuse italics in this post, but didn't. I'm going to have to throw a f*****g intervention on this damn issue. Y'all have a problem! :face-eek)  

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $974,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21296 on: August 03, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
No, you sir, have a problem. See what I did there? :troll
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline kingwolf

• Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #21297 on: August 08, 2017, 03:57:12 AM »
+1
once life starts slowing down and they start getting some fresh excellent blood, hopefully theyll catch back up, til then OP will be there for me waiting <3 i would die happy for like a 23 ep splurge cx

Offline FinalplayerRyu

• Grand Line Pirate
  • Bounty: $228,000,000 -
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #21298 on: August 08, 2017, 06:23:54 PM »
... getting some fresh excellent blood...

So what are you saying is... we need a ritual sacrifice.

Offline Beldarius

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $112,000,000 -
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #21299 on: August 10, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
So who are we going to summon? Didn't know there was a demon in the staff.
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom