Author Topic: Episode Agony Thread  (Read 2783736 times)

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $989,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
Re: Episode Agony Thread
« Reply #21240 on: May 16, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
Thanks for the information. And thanks to this:

In most fansub groups they are needed because the translator is often, beyond their ability to comprehend some amount of Japanese, a halfwit. He or she often cannot construct coherent sentences in English even when it is their mother tongue. You hence need editors and QCers to rewrite every other line from scratch to make it even resemble sentient combinations of symbols devised by an intelligent being. Also TLCers because the translator's lack of mastery of their own language gives you little hope that their mastery of weeaboo-go is somehow sufficient to lead to a correct translation. In rarer cases the translator is a native Japanese speaker (or a native of neither language involved) and that is why their English is shit, instead of just being a dumb native English speaker, but you still need the editor regardless of the reason.
Now I understand why most of the manga I've been reading lately, especially the older ones, read like the translator had English as their 3rd language. :face-rolleyes
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,558,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21241 on: May 16, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
Manga speedscans are especially awesome because most of it is translated from Chinese leaks, and not even the original Japanese version.

Inb4 duwang

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,701,000,000 -
  • Respect: +276
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #21242 on: May 16, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
In the case of Yibis, the role of the editor and QCer is less to do with rewriting the whole thing from scratch (which is easy), and more to do with pedantic fine-tuning of word consistency, style and such intricacies that you probably don't notice anyway. At least, that is, when Lord Starfish does the translation; he is Scandinavian, which is like a superpower when it comes to speaking English, and doing so better than most natives (I have seen unedited scripts and they are better immediately after translation than many of the OP speedsubs that have been spawned over the years even after their attempts at QC). The whole "edit to even make this intelligible" isn't needed so much, so Yibis can focus on the minutiae where other sub groups can't/won't. And this is why the role description is about being "adept" and not just "able to write in full sentences" like with most groups' editors.
For the record, nowadays Jules the editor does in fact take a much more active role than before, as we've long since switched over to editing Toei's (Not FUNi's; they just use what they're given by Toei) English scripts rather than translating from scratch ourselves. Which in one way can be seen as a good thing because we're kind of down to only one translator-slash-TLC in the group at this point... But yeah, it is kind of sad in its own right that I, a Norwegian with a bachelor's degree in Japanese, can apparently write better worded translations than the professionals employed by Toei. Although, One Piece still has it better than a lot of other shows by them... OHAI SAILOR MOON.
This sure is a signature.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,724,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #21243 on: May 16, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
For the record, nowadays Jules the editor does in fact take a much more active role than before, as we've long since switched over to editing Toei's (Not FUNi's; they just use what they're given by Toei) English scripts rather than translating from scratch ourselves. Which in one way can be seen as a good thing because we're kind of down to only one translator-slash-TLC in the group at this point... But yeah, it is kind of sad in its own right that I, a Norwegian with a bachelor's degree in Japanese, can apparently write better worded translations than the professionals employed by Toei. Although, One Piece still has it better than a lot of other shows by them... OHAI SAILOR MOON.
The quality of stuff Toei puts out is kind of embarassing.
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $989,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21244 on: May 18, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
WE HAVE TEN LIGHTS! I REPEAT, WE HAVE TEN LIGHTS! I've prepared several buckets worth of tears for your fuel. Please accept them. [Insert 3 full bucket emoji's here.] It's from the manga readers agony of no chapter this week, but they're still tears of agony. I hope they do the job.
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Karael

• Grand Line Pirate
  • Bounty: $230,000,000 -
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #21245 on: May 19, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »
 :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh :argh
Daily agony fix

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,036,000,000 -
  • Respect: +83
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #21246 on: May 19, 2017, 01:03:38 AM »
WE HAVE TEN LIGHTS! I REPEAT, WE HAVE TEN LIGHTS!

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline GhostPirate

• Mountain Bandit
  • Bounty: $42,000,000 -
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21247 on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
This may be the longest gap between episodes you guys have had. Hope this isn't signaling something. Don't know how I'd cope without your subs. Gold standard for One Piece.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21248 on: May 23, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »
If you don't like it then ask your friends who know Japanese or English or subtitle timing to come and help. The staff have said countless times that there aren't enough people to work on the episodes - if this "signals" anything it's that nobody is helping and people are somehow still surprised when things get worse.

Offline kingwolf

• King of Wolves and Lord of Catgirls
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $388,000,000 -
« Reply #21249 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »
i wonder whats holding them up for posting though :c also this will be my last post for a while since my post count is 666 cx
"I lose my memory little by little with each day. Soon, time will eventually make me forget. But for now, I'll never forget your warm heart." From the flash "I won't forget" by Snow-Studios at Newgrounds

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21250 on: May 24, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »
i wonder whats holding them up for posting though :c

This is one of the most asked questions on this forum, no matter how many times it's been answered.

Offline JulesMFinWinnfield

• Professional Shaman
  • Bounty: $262,000,000 -
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #21251 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
+1
776 has TS, but anyone that can do TS has disappeared for the moment. (Add that role to the list of group needs.)
The next few episodes have minimal signage (i.e., the usual "Title of This Person, Person's Name, Person's Affiliation" stuff), so those should present less of a threat.

We're continuing to do anything that doesn't require TS in the meantime.

申し訳ございません

Skip to 1:02 for apology.

I'm QC for these other, fine Japanese products this season:
m.3.3.w Fansubs - WORKING!!!, Non Non Biyori Repeat
Dragon Team - Dragon Ball Super

Offline GhostPirate

• Mountain Bandit
  • Bounty: $42,000,000 -
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21252 on: May 28, 2017, 12:47:48 AM »
If you don't like it then ask your friends who know Japanese or English or subtitle timing to come and help. The staff have said countless times that there aren't enough people to work on the episodes - if this "signals" anything it's that nobody is helping and people are somehow still surprised when things get worse.
Okay, if you read my post, there was nothing negative, rude, or disrespectful in it. If you read it, there was concern as well as compliments. There was no reason for you to get your undies in a wad. Isn't this the episode agony thread? What I posted barely even qualifies. I've seen much worse on here.

Jules comment below was very informative and answered my implied question. If you knew that, you could have just said it. Look at my number of posts. I'm rarely here, but i primarily come here to say thanks.

Offline Karael

• Grand Line Pirate
  • Bounty: $230,000,000 -
« Reply #21253 on: May 30, 2017, 05:16:27 AM »
A G O N YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Offline Fadeout4

• Resident Jojo Guru
  • Bounty: $1,550,000,000 -
  • Respect: +210
    • My Anime List
« Reply #21254 on: June 01, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
+1
If it makes you guys feel any better, episodes up to 778 are all 5 lights lit. The first episode just has some crazy typesetting, which is the cause for delay.

Click here for Jojo Subs!
Jojo General Thread
Jojo Part 3 Thread
My Jojo Part Ranking: 7 >>> 4 > 6 > 3 > 5* > 1 > 2