Author Topic: Favourite Game + what are you playing now?  (Read 814314 times)

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
  • Bounty: $952,000,000 -
  • Respect: +48
Re: Favourite Game + what are you playing now?
« Reply #8505 on: August 30, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »
Well I still think the devs are stupid. Should've just done that from the get go instead of trying to sell it first.
It's like you just bought a sandwich at a bakery and all the customers after you get that same sandwich for free just because. Am I the only one who would be kinda pissed?

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,562,000,000 -
  • Respect: +727
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8506 on: August 30, 2017, 11:10:28 PM »
Am I the only one who would be kinda pissed?

No. That doesn't stop it being whiny and entitled though.

When you get more mad about someone getting a free sandwich instead of your "frugal" self, than about there being people who can barely afford to eat at all, that's what we call First World Problems.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,879,000,000 -
  • Respect: +559
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #8507 on: August 31, 2017, 12:14:49 AM »
Ultimately, however you look at it - you paid because you wanted the right to play it earlier, and you wanted to reward the devs. It's not like you couldn't have gotten it for free from Day 1 by pirating it. Nothing has really changed. Yeah, had you waited you could have gotten it for free, but obviously you weren't keen on waiting, because otherwise you would have done that anyway - as it might have gotten on sale. This is just an extreme version of that.

Offline Garp

• New World Captain
  • Bounty: $952,000,000 -
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #8508 on: August 31, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
Ultimately, however you look at it - you paid because you wanted the right to play it earlier, and you wanted to reward the devs. It's not like you couldn't have gotten it for free from Day 1 by pirating it. Nothing has really changed. Yeah, had you waited you could have gotten it for free, but obviously you weren't keen on waiting, because otherwise you would have done that anyway - as it might have gotten on sale. This is just an extreme version of that.

Yep, I suppose you're right. Solid reasoning.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8509 on: November 06, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »

Recently picked up Plague Inc. in which you design and evolve a pathogen to spread throughout humanity and wipe them out. It's quite good. The best part has to be some of the incidental events that happen in the world that your pathogen can affect or bring about: causing the Olympics to be cancelled, making the US blame Russia for the spread of the disease and nuking them, and even bringing about a Hard Brexit by infecting Brits with symptoms such as "Insanity" and "Hyper sensitivity". They criticise various things like this. There's even an event somewhere about an "Amateur Brain Surgeon" who is more popular than expected because no one likes experts any more. Some of the incidental news pieces actually affect your disease spreading strategy, too, such as an event about a certain country having an economic boom means they will have e.g. better antibiotics and you need to evolve more resistance to that or the disease will spread very slowly in that country (in the first place, countries are divided into rich/poor, warm/cold, urban/rural etc with disease options that are better in some conditions than others for tactical purposes).

There was a flash game on the internet back in the day very similar to this, yes, before anyone points that out. I think it's the spiritual successor, essentially. It's also been apparently acknowledged by the CDC as a novel form of outreach regarding disease epidemics and shit. Another funny thing is that the difficulty settings in game are partly based on how much the inhabitants of your Earth bother to wash their hands and stuff. Easy mode has people never wash their hands and hug infected people. Hard mode has compulsive hand washing and isolation of infected people.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #8510 on: November 06, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »
Ah, yeah, Plague Inc., fun times  :face-rofl. I haven't played in a while - the more plagues you unlock, the harder it gets to win the game. Bacteria are easy, fungi and parasites on the other hand... yeesh. Also, there's that Planet of the Apes tie-in disease that requires you to manage super-intelligent apes as well and I never quite figured that out.

Plus you can play multiplayer! Two or more plagues at once, whoever kills more people wins :face-lol. I only had a go once with some random guy I was matched up with though. If you want to play, send an invite :face-rofl.

(BTW, this game makes a nice pair with DEFCON, another map-only game about basically wiping out humanity, except that one's with nuclear war. Also it's far less tongue-in-cheek and more like, nightmarish and grim. It doesn't help that the soundtrack is literally just vague ominous chords and the occasional wailing in the distance)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8511 on: November 06, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
I just played the Planet of the Apes mode  for the first time last night (on Normal) and found it to be one of the easier modes, in fact. Easier than the Zombie plague, which has similar options in terms of having to manage a second population of hostiles, at least. After I tried the ability that lets you build colonies of apes, I was drowning in DNA points and had pretty much free rein. Fungus mode was tough but I think I won on my second try after realising it's better to save the "spore burst" abilities that infect random countries until the end where only the last dozen or so hard to infect ones are left (fuck Iceland and Greenland) and have stopped all travel in and out of the country. Sometimes I wonder how luck based the game is. I'll be shifting over to higher difficulties soon (once I play the last plague type I've not tried yet) and maybe get more of a feel for this then.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #8512 on: November 06, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
It also depends on which traits you unlock on your first runs. I unlocked very early the traits that give you an edge in dry countries, so basically I'd start all of my runs from either Egypt or Saudi Arabia. That whole area is chock-full of poor countries so of course it's a perfect incubator to reach critical mass before actually starting to hassle the First World medical powerhouses. Also it has both docks and airports, which is nice.

And yeah, if this game has taught me anything is that in the eventuality of a world-killing pandemic in the making you should migrate to Greenland ASAP while you're healthy and it's still possible. Best chances of survival by far.

(good thing viruses and bacteria in real life don't have a strategizing hivemind that plans their spread and evolution for maximum damage, I guess...)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8513 on: November 08, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
I've had the water transport and rural traits since early on and largely used those, on the other hand, so that could be a big factor for difference in experiences, yeah.

Having the water gene seems quite powerful actually. A couple of times I've made a winning strategy out of starting on an island country with sea travel, infecting the whole thing with only very mild symptoms and then once the whole population is infected, evolving Water Transmission to max at the same time as kicking up a few more infective symptoms, then - boom - suddenly half the world is infected. This worked well with Indonesia (rural gene + livestock transmission for quick infection), where infected ships soon went to major countries like Australia and India, which sent ships just about everywhere else in a matter of days. I had to keep pausing to pop all the bubbles in time.

Although focusing a lot on one country at the start before trying to transmit to others might be dangerous. When I did this once with New Guinea, they started rioting to make the government work on a cure earlier than normal. :p I stay away from them now.

edit :

Holy shit I just played a Custom Scenario in which you play as Dio Brando. It is of course a variation of the "shadow plague" vampire disease type but all the abilities are renamed stuff like The World and stuff, and the story pop ups make plot references to Stardust Crusaders and etc.

Offline Beldarius

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $113,000,000 -
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8514 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
I finished playing Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999) a few months ago. I'd bought the PS4 version of the game (compiled with Virtue's Last Reward) and I absolutely love the plot, puzzles, atmosphere, art, characters and voice-acting. Essentially, I just love everything about the game. Snake is easily my favorite character for several reasons, for example Taliesin Jaffe sounding so calm and refined for most of the game, and then in the Safe Ending he just flips his lid at the villain and starts sounding vicious.

I also started playing Persona 5 after 999 and have been giggling since there are a lot of similarities between the games. This is also my second Persona game (I have Persona 3 Fes) and I'm enjoying myself immensely. I didn't even think it'd be this fun when all the hype started - I usually end up disappointed at overly hyped games, but Persona 5 really deserves all the fangirling. Also, Yusuke is stupidly funny. XD (And Mishima is just a cute dork.)

I'm probably going to take up Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma (999's sequels) once school is over.
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #8515 on: November 27, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
I need to try those games sooner or later. I heard they're from the same guy who wrote Punchline!, so I'm curious.

Yesterday I bought Theme Hospital on GOG as it was super cheap, mostly out of historical interest :face-rofl. Looks pretty fun  :face-lol.

Offline Zxcvbnm11592

• Eternal Hell
  • Bounty: $1,260,000,000 -
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #8516 on: November 28, 2017, 05:06:02 AM »
The Zero Escape series is another that I want to try, since they're made by Chunsoft, now Spike Chunsoft, which made Danganronpa, a series I recently just finished and loved.

I enjoyed the Hope's Peak saga entirely, it's entertaining as hell. V3, on the other hand, I enjoyed the game, but the story's ending is such a mindfuck that it's been 2 weeks and I still don't know whether I liked it or not.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Zxcvbnm11592
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Zxcvbnm11592
Updated 13 Sep 2016

Captain of Sneaky Evil Crazy Mastermind Tactics.
Join the Empire today!

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #8517 on: November 28, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
Haven't played V3 yet, it's on my wishlist though. Mindfuck ending, really? Any non-spoilery thoughts?

Offline Zxcvbnm11592

• Eternal Hell
  • Bounty: $1,260,000,000 -
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #8518 on: November 28, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
Haven't played V3 yet, it's on my wishlist though. Mindfuck ending, really? Any non-spoilery thoughts?

Everything up to halfway the final trial is like the old games, good old murder, trials, plot twists, character development. I can't say much about the final reveal without spoiling anything, but I can say that I like the way the series goes over the top in terms of how crazy they can make their universe, but this was crazy pushed to a new height.

(click to show/hide)
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Zxcvbnm11592
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Zxcvbnm11592
Updated 13 Sep 2016

Captain of Sneaky Evil Crazy Mastermind Tactics.
Join the Empire today!