Author Topic: Pokémon  (Read 277011 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,678,000,000 -
  • Respect: +275
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Pokémon
« Reply #1995 on: December 17, 2016, 01:08:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)
So from what I can tell, it looks like the next Pokémon movie is going to give the start of the anime a HD remake...anime's 20th anniversary maybe...
You know, that could honestly be pretty cool. I might just have to check that out when it comes out... presumably in 2018 for us :face-normal.

On another note, apparently dataminers found walking animations for every single Pokémon in the game... Could it be that GameFreak actually considered bringing back the much-beloved walking Pokémon feature from Heart Gold and Soul Silver?! Could this potentially return in the next game, whatever it may be?!
This sure is a signature.

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $948,000,000 -
  • Respect: +27
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1996 on: December 17, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »
Actually, IIRC GameFreak did say something about it. Something along the lines of trying to put it in, but ultimately decided not to.
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #1997 on: December 23, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »
This time, on the final episode of Pokémon Generations: Clear proof of how utterly underdeveloped and rushed XY's story was as this four-minute short manages to faithfully cover the entirety of AZ's character-arc in less than five minutes.

...Honestly I find it hard to even criticize this one because at least this one gave us the full story and it had an actual ending. So the problem this time is more just that, well, the game itself completely and utterly dropped the ball on this particular story. Sorry AZ, but N you are not. And moving ahead to the next game, congratulations Lillie, AZ you are definitely not.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #1998 on: January 01, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »
So the other day I was trying to catch me some legendaries in Moon...

Damn did I get lucky with this one. Four perfect IVs, HP being one point away from also being perfect so I don't even see a need to worry about it, and the right nature. All I need is to get this thing up to lv100 and use one single Bottle Cap on it and it'll be a Top Percentage Tapu Lele!![/Youngster Joey]
Also it took ages to catch and in the process I used up all my good Balls so it ended up in a Luxury Ball. I would have preferred a Heal Ball personally as it matches its colors but meh. I wasn't about to reset after getting a legendary this good.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,502,000,000 -
  • Respect: +725
    • My Anime List
« Reply #1999 on: January 02, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
I can't even work out what I'm looking at. WTF is that pokemon?

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2000 on: January 02, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
I can't even work out what I'm looking at. WTF is that pokemon?
It's one of the four island guardians whom the player can catch for some reason because surely there's nothing more important for them to do except participate in cockfights for an eleven-year-old.

Not pictured: Tapu Koko, as it was annonced separately before the rest. In any case, these things are based on totem poles. Like, they all have this outer shell that can be closed and when they do, they end up looking like a wooden face.

Entirely unrelatedly, a while back I was bitching at how impossible it was to get BP in this game... Since then I have learned the perfect strategy to get long streaks going in the Battle Tree:
Mimikyu.
Just... Mimikyu.
Seriously Mimikyu is stupidly strong. Sure its stats might not look that impressive, (it's got decent but not outstanding stats in everything but HP and Sp.Atk. Those two stats, however, are pretty pitiful) but that Disguise ability? Basically guarantees that it's gonna survive the first turn unless the opponent has something to hit through it. Which gives the player a free chance to set up a Swords Dance, doubling its attack. And it's decently fast + it gets Shadow Sneak to one-up things that might be faster than it. Like, my Mimikyu Pikaboo (and the unnamed one I got in a trade earlier... they're functionally identical but I just bred one because I wanted to nickname it) has single-handedly won tons of battles for me and by now I've unlocked both Super Single Battles and Super Double Battles. Not even gonna bother with Multi Battles though; Why would I want to parttake in double battles with a stupid CPU companion and only get to bring two Pokémon of my own?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:45:08 PM by Lord Starfish »

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2001 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
Ah ok, that picture helps. I can at least work out where the face is and what each body part is supposed to be, now.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2002 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
So the past couple of times I've been watching TFS's Moon streams live... This latest one was kinda unbearable at first though.

Okay, so you're Twitch partners now and so you made some changes to the format to work with that, fine... but 45 minutes straight of the DBZ eyecatch music coupled with shoutouts to every single new subscriber and basically no commentary whatsoever on the game itself = Not fun. Thankfully they turned off the goddamn sound after that and the constant stream of subscribers slowed down, making the rest of the stream actually watchable again. Though Maggie does still make this run kind of tensionless. (Then again, what else were they supposed to do against Totem Mimikyu? Die?)

...Also I kinda left right as they beat Plumeria because I was getting so freaking sleepy at the time, and now watching the rest... Are you kidding me they did a Wonder Trade right after I left?! Dang it I missed a chance to potentially send them something cool again!! Though the odds of me actually being able to do so were absurdly low. Last time I tried to send them a Jangmo-o named Gimli. It instead went to someone else who was clearly also trying to get TFS because they sent a Rockruff named Notinda, a clear callback to NOTRUFF the Spinda that they caught earlier.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:01:03 PM by Lord Starfish »

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,692,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #2003 on: January 22, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
It's been a while since tension was this high in a TFS Pokémon stream
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2004 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:48 AM »
It's been a while since tension was this high in a TFS Pokémon stream

I actually called this in advance; For you see, something similar happened in my own Nuzlocke of Moon (Yeah, I probably ought to actually do something with that soon, eh? I mean I have a super detailed log of everything that happened, and plenty of ideas for how to spin the story, but... I am just my own worst enemy when it comes to actually making my EPIC PLANS work), wherein I had a really strong teammate who by all accounts should have no problem whatsoever with Hapu... Cue Z-Move!!

But yeah, this run has been extremely low on tension. This fight was a breath of fresh air. Of course, I feel like the run has generally just gotten way more enjoyable ever since it became VELER TIME!!! Granted he has the same problem as Maggie in that he's way too strong, (though their overleveledness is becoming less of an issue at last) but unlike Maggie, the team clearly has a lot of fun with his character. Maggie has no character to begin with. I kinda hope that after this run they'll go do one of the things they considered at the end of Soul Silver: Playing Black and White. Because Black and White is eeeeeevil, and does not have the Exp. Share to get rid of the eeeeeevilness.

That aside, GET OFF WONDER TRADE WILL YA JAPAN?! There were so many of us in the chat trying to send TFS stuff during their Wonder Trades, but everyone got connected to random Japanese players it seems. I had a Primarina and a Turtonator for them dammit! With nicknames! They could have used them! And they're both 'mons that they have precisely zero chance of getting in the game otherwise! But nope, instead they got random unnamed nonsense from Japanese players.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:47:49 AM by Lord Starfish »

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #2005 on: January 23, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
I actually called this in advance; For you see, something similar happened in my own Nuzlocke of Moon (Yeah, I probably ought to actually do something with that soon, eh? I mean I have a super detailed log of everything that happened, and plenty of ideas for how to spin the story, but... I am just my own worst enemy when it comes to actually making my EPIC PLANS work), wherein I had a really strong teammate who by all accounts should have no problem whatsoever with Hapu... Cue Z-Move!!

But yeah, this run has been extremely low on tension. This fight was a breath of fresh air. Of course, I feel like the run has generally just gotten way more enjoyable ever since it became VELER TIME!!! Granted he has the same problem as Maggie in that he's way too strong, (though their overleveledness is becoming less of an issue at last) but unlike Maggie, the team clearly has a lot of fun with his character. Maggie has no character to begin with. I kinda hope that after this run they'll go do one of the things they considered at the end of Soul Silver: Playing Black and White. Because Black and White is eeeeeevil, and does not have the Exp. Share to get rid of the eeeeeevilness.

That aside, GET OFF WONDER TRADE WILL YA JAPAN?! There were so many of us in the chat trying to send TFS stuff during their Wonder Trades, but everyone got connected to random Japanese players it seems. I had a Primarina and a Turtonator for them dammit! With nicknames! They could have used them! And they're both 'mons that they have precisely zero chance of getting in the game otherwise! But nope, instead they got random unnamed nonsense from Japanese players.
Well that's Wonder trade, not exactly the most reliable way of trading. Maybe it's because their 2DS is japanese? They did get Mimikyun~ and Crusher too though, so it wasn't ALL garbage.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2006 on: January 23, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
Well that's Wonder trade, not exactly the most reliable way of trading. Maybe it's because their 2DS is japanese?
Note: Everyone got connected to random Japanese people. I think the stream should still be viewable in their archives on Twitch, so if you go there and look at what the chat was saying, there's a lot of "Damn I got some random Japanese person" there. Then I continued doing some more Wonder Trades after the stream ended... and still got a bunch of random Japanese players.

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
« Reply #2007 on: January 23, 2017, 01:57:39 PM »
Note: Everyone got connected to random Japanese people. I think the stream should still be viewable in their archives on Twitch, so if you go there and look at what the chat was saying, there's a lot of "Damn I got some random Japanese person" there. Then I continued doing some more Wonder Trades after the stream ended... and still got a bunch of random Japanese players.
Wow. That's shity, Game Freak needs to do something about that. Maybe it's because of the latest patch?

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2008 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Wow. That's shity, Game Freak needs to do something about that. Maybe it's because of the latest patch?
Do something about what? The abundance of Japanese players using Wonder Trade at the same time that TFS was doing it? I don't think you can really patch that, dude...

Also, soI was browsing the Nuzlocke forum (because of course there is one...) and they had this cool challenge going where people would have to go through all the regions (or at least everything up to Unova; they acknowledged that not everyone would be able to do XY, ORAS or Sun and Moon) over the course of the next year. I decided to sign up for that challenge. I also decided I was going to record it, since I'd be emulating all the games anyway (Doing the lesser challenge of doing gens 1-5, because as far as I know there are no reliable 3DS emulators out yet), so... coming soon: Yet another Nuzlocke run done by me. IN VIDEO FORMAT!!!! (Though warning: The first video will be garbage. I had the game audio way too loud so half of my commentary is drowned out by BGM.)

EDIT: And when I said "soon"... I meant in less than a day. Uploaded both episodes 1 and 2 together because as I said, episode 1 on its own had some srs audio issues.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:59:33 AM by Lord Starfish »

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2009 on: January 25, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
I might actually watch this.  :face-rofl

So the challenge is just Nuzlocking each game one after another? There's not like a connection between the games, like you have to continue the no-dupes clause across all the games, or you can trade your pokemon from one generation to the next to make it like one continuous run?

Also as I watched the first minute of the first episode just to see how it was (I don't have time to watch a full LP episode right now :P), there was a typo in the word evolutionary in the no dupes clause explanation. Though I don't know how much you even want to know about this kind of thing since I doubt there's much you can do about it at this stage.