Author Topic: Spring 2016 Anime  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Garp

• Revolutionary
  • Bounty: $775,000,000 -
  • Respect: +37
Re: Spring 2016 Anime
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »
So far there's not much harem going on imo, I like the anime because the main character is a charismatic otaku who always makes fun of his own situation even as he's about to get robbed and beaten in a deserted alley saying he's about to be saved by a cute protagonist looking girl. A cute protagonist looking girl does pass by but only to say she doesn't give a shit and moves along and he then gets beaten anyway. He does get saved by a different cute girl though hahah.

Offline fire_fist

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $901,000,000 -
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
personally im also enjoying Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. its really fun to watch, the harem aspects are very minor so theres no issue in that department. the main character is really likable, which is a plus, and the rewinding time is done very well. so while its not the best thing ever, it is enjoyable, and is at least worth a shot.

i kinda felt kabeneri went full retard with the fused colony thing. its not that i thought it was a plot driven story to begin with though. its definitely a watch awesome fights with a pumping background music anime.

im 2 eps behind on mayoiga, and at this point its way too difficult for me to want to catch up, so im dropping this now. if anyone here is still watching it, let me know how it ends up. im almost sure its gonna be stupid, but i cant help this nagging voice in the back of my head.

i was getting annoyed with ushio to tora, this season. last weeks episode, was not that good. it was really pissing me off. but this weeks episode (34) was very good. im now entirely back on the ushio to tora bandwagon. very good episode, with barely any pacing issues.

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $734,000,000 -
  • Respect: +19
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
And oh... if you're interested into stuff that's related to Kill la Kill, check out Space Patrol Luluco. Not only it's from Trigger and is the same brand of humour (someone described it as "Kill la Kill if Mako was the protagonist"), it also has some explicit references to it - they visit a Life Fiber planet at some point.
I won't watch it myself because it's a short, but I didn't realise until you mentioned it that Trigger are doing 2 original anime this season. I thought Trigger was a small studio. I didn't think they'd be able to handle multiple anime at the same time like other studios can...

im 2 eps behind on mayoiga, and at this point its way too difficult for me to want to catch up, so im dropping this now. if anyone here is still watching it, let me know how it ends up. im almost sure its gonna be stupid, but i cant help this nagging voice in the back of my head.
Roger. Some questions are getting answered now, but I won't tell you to go back. At this stage, it's like a half-decent thriller done horribly wrong. And I hope that "execute him/her" bitch dies. I've never hated a character so much before. :clerish

After everyone talked about it, I thought I'd try that Re:Zero for myself. It's kinda reminds me of SAO/Grimgar with a "time rewind" element like in BokuMachi or Steins;Gate. I like it. Especially since Kabaneri has been less and less entertaining as of late imo. On a slightly different subject, my opinion on Kiznaiver hasn't changed, but it has become more charming in the recent episodes. I'm actually starting to like it. :face-eek I've picked up Kyoukai no Rinne and loving it and Tanaka-kun...well, it's not my style (easy going slice-of-life anime don't impress me, I find them boring), but it's hilarious and I can't stop watching it.
My Anime List
My Tumblr (Made for AMV's)

Credits go to Princess Isis for the picture.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,501,000,000 -
  • Respect: +511
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »
I won't watch it myself because it's a short, but I didn't realise until you mentioned it that Trigger are doing 2 original anime this season. I thought Trigger was a small studio. I didn't think they'd be able to handle multiple anime at the same time like other studios can...
Roger. Some questions are getting answered now, but I won't tell you to go back. At this stage, it's like a half-decent thriller done horribly wrong. And I hope that "execute him/her" bitch dies. I've never hated a character so much before. :clerish

Why the hate for shorts  :face-rofl? Do give it a try. It is really good IMHO. And it's not as disjointed as other shorts tend to be.

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
It's not so much as "hate" towards shorts. I just don't like the fact they're that short. There's just not enough content there. I could watch them all in an hour and be like ".....that's it? But I want more!" and that's what I don't like. There's even been some regular length anime (usually 24 minutes long) that are only 12 or 13 episodes long where I've said that.
My Anime List

Offline CL3

• 我は空...
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,303,000,000 -
  • Respect: +689
    • My Anime List
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
The good thing about shorts is that they give a medium for anime ideas which don't have enough substance to fill 20 minute episodes. And this doesn't mean they are worse just for being short, it's just a different type of show. If a show leaves you wanting more, that in the first place doesn't make it bad in any way, and even if it does that is a property of the show itself, not the time frame it is presented in.

A few seasons ago I would have turned my nose up at shorts too, but after actually watching a few I think they have a place in my seasonal lineup. Diversity is nice, both in terms of content and presentation. A couple of seasons ago, Muco was one of the funnier shows airing despite being a short, and it worked as a short because of its simple but amusing premise. Still running for its second season is Kagewani, which is more serious but also wouldn't work as full length episodes because each individual "monster of the week" can't be dragged out that long. It's also not as bad as it looks, and once you get into the underlying story rather than just the random monsters of the first few episodes, it's moderately interesting. There are 3 or 4 shows I'm watching this season which rank below it, IMO. All of them full-length things.

Meanwhile there are full length shows which would work better as shorts but become drawn out and slow because they spread out a small amount of content into a longer episode instead. Some shows get around this by splitting one 20 minute episodes into 2-3 shorter sub-episodes but by this point you're just watching shorts back to back, in practice if not in name. Anyway an example of this IMO would be Kuma Miko, this season. Maybe Sakamoto to an extent too, but it's decent as it is anyway.

I've yet to watch a short that I'd rank as super awesome, to be fair, but it's definitely not good to discount all shorts just because of their length.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
I think my favourite short of all time must be "Tonari no Seki-kun". It was of varied length but usually under 7 minutes and invariably hilarious  :face-rofl - and a perfect example of a show that could work ONLY as a short. "Space Patrol Luluco" might just pass it though if it keeps going strong - for now it's uproariously funny, has a very charming art style, and some genuinely cute moments. All it needs is a good ending.

Offline rob1610

• One Piece Manga Reader
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2016, 03:14:11 AM »
I think I should point out that when it comes to shorts, there was one I was surprised by and thoroughly enjoyed a few seasons ago that was very well done and a laugh riot which is what changed my original opinion that all shorts were lacking in content. I'd want more BECAUSE it was good. I'm still in the process of finding some of the better ones and seeing if the short length is actually worth it, so until then, my bias towards shorts is mostly because of my half-baked opinion.

If your still insistent on me giving Luluco a shot, then I guess I should point out my second reason for not wanting to see it. I was hoping to avoid saying it since there are Mako fans here I don't want to annoy, but I found her to be more annoying than funny. And if it's like Mako's the protagonist, if it's Trigger's version of funny, then it's probably only going to piss me off and I'll end up hating it.
My Anime List

Offline Garp

• Revolutionary
  • Bounty: $775,000,000 -
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2016, 07:22:21 AM »

If your still insistent on me giving Luluco a shot, then I guess I should point out my second reason for not wanting to see it. I was hoping to avoid saying it since there are Mako fans here I don't want to annoy, but I found her to be more annoying than funny. And if it's like Mako's the protagonist, if it's Trigger's version of funny, then it's probably only going to piss me off and I'll end up hating it.

Although I'm a serious anti-Mako person, I watched the first episode of Luluco and it was quite entertaining. I haven't watched the rest yet because I just can't be bothered right now, there are very few animes that I watch regularly and this one just isn't one of them.

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $2,085,000,000 -
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2016, 08:24:52 AM »
+1
Luluco isn't really much like Mako, they just look a little similar. And I loved the Mankanshoku family, but I understand how they can annoy some people. The show is clearly aimed at Trigger fans with nods to Inferno Cop and Kill la Kill, so if you didn't like those then the show isn't probably for you. I'm loving it though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:29:53 AM by Decimator »

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2016, 09:53:27 AM »
Luluco isn't like Mako very much, it's more like the brand of humour is that sort of zany hyperactive madness that was usually witnessed during Mako scenes.

Anyway the synopsis is - there's a city, Ogikubo, which serves as a sort of melting pot for humans and aliens. Luluco lives there and wants a normal life. Of course she doesn't get that as she's dragged into the Space Patrol for various reasons - half her time is spent chasing after Space Criminals, and the other half pining after Alpha Omega Nova, her fellow recruit that really doesn't care about her (or anything really). They've been making a couple crossover episodes recently (in one they landed on a Life Fiber controlled planet, as I mentioned), but I expect them to wrap things up in the final three episodes.