Author Topic: Winter 2016 Anime  (Read 3968 times)

Offline CL3

• 我は空...
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,232,000,000 -
  • Respect: +672
    • My Anime List
Re: Winter 2016 Anime
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
I watched one episode of Osomatsu at some point but never really felt like continuing. Maybe when Gintama is over and I've rewatched all the episodes enough times that I'm desperate for new content, I'll watch Osomatsu then. I suppose the target audience is supposed to be "people who would really like Gintama but are intimidated by the 300+ episodes"

I'm also watching AssClass. Now with 100% more Kurama-Killua, since Itona is a permanent character and not just an occasional episodic antagonist from now on, apparently.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,407,000,000 -
  • Respect: +500
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
Maybe when Gintama is over and I've rewatched all the episodes enough times that I'm desperate for new content

Best euphemism for "never" of the year  :face-lol.

And I don't think the target is as simple as that really. May I ask which episode you watched? From what I've seen of Gintama, I'd say the main difference is that Gintama focuses more heavily on straight up parody and has a semi-consistent setting. Osomatsu-san on the other hand both leverages its modern day setting for some straight up social satire occasionally and is able to get entirely unshackled from it and dive into pure surrealism, sometimes in a very fragmented way. It isn't unusual for an episode of Osomatsu-san to be composed of several, stylistically very diverse segments. There's a returning gag with the genderbent versions of the six protagonists, one where they are irresistible bishonens in a variety of settings, one where two of the side cast engage in silent adventures, there's even been a Magritte-like gag on identity which devolved into everyone being purely represented by their Kanji. It really feels like the only rule is "whatever the fuck we feel like doing at a given time".

Offline CL3

• 我は空...
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
Probably the first one. I saw the Bishounen mode section making fun of reverse harem shows, and then they parodied everything else from Naruto to Attack on Titan in the space of about 2 minutes.

While on topic, time for a Gintama clip.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAqo1mNq15A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAqo1mNq15A</a>

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Probably the first one. I saw the Bishounen mode section making fun of reverse harem shows, and then they parodied everything else from Naruto to Attack on Titan in the space of about 2 minutes.

Yeah, first one, the one that was pulled out of the air because of copyright infringement due to how on-the-nose the parodies were  :face-rofl. That was also probably one of the weakest ones... you should probably try checking out a couple more. Episode 3 at the very least, it will give you a better feeling of what the show's like most of the time (nothing but watching the show itself could give you a full idea of what it like ALL of the time because frankly I don't think the creators themselves know).

Offline CL3

• 我は空...
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
Well, maybe some time.  :face-rolleyes

I also watched 1 Sekkou Boys when it first aired and intend to keep going with it for now. It's just stuck in the backlog for now.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
Well, maybe some time.  :face-rolleyes

I also watched 1 Sekkou Boys when it first aired and intend to keep going with it for now. It's just stuck in the backlog for now.

You'll breeze through  :face-rofl. Episode 5 was especially hilarious.

Online Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,473,000,000 -
  • Respect: +228
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2016, 06:11:06 PM »
I think someone else probably watches either Konosuba and Assassination Classroom, but I could be wrong.
I watch AC. It was like the one anime I was looking forward to last January, having already been a fan of the manga for a good while at that point. Even though I will never forgive them for not casting Ryusei Nakao as Korosensei (I just imagined him sounding like Freeza since the very first time I saw him), it's a pretty solid adaptation of the manga, though they did recently rather disappoint me by completely cutting out a short arc I really liked...
This sure is a signature.

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $2,070,000,000 -
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #82 on: Today at 12:31:21 PM »
There's that word again, "circlejerk".
Why are jerks so circular where you are? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?   :awsum
Sorry, my memes start leaking when I'm drunk.

Anyway, just when I was done praising the official subs, I started watching Showa Rakugo and they have entire sentences that aren't even translated. :face-normal Fucking whyyyyyyyy?!

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #83 on: Today at 01:05:45 PM »
Sorry, my memes start leaking when I'm drunk.

Anyway, just when I was done praising the official subs, I started watching Showa Rakugo and they have entire sentences that aren't even translated. :face-normal Fucking whyyyyyyyy?!

...what  :face-dizzy? What subs are you watching?

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
« Reply #84 on: Today at 01:14:26 PM »

...what  :face-dizzy? What subs are you watching?
HorribleSubs. It's like shitty fansubs, lots of untranslated words, some with TL-notes and most without. And yeah, entire sentences are just romanized and in quotations. From what I gathered, it's the punchline that is left untranslated during the rakugo scenes. :face-normal

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #85 on: Today at 01:27:15 PM »
HorribleSubs. It's like shitty fansubs, lots of untranslated words, some with TL-notes and most without. And yeah, entire sentences are just romanized and in quotations. From what I gathered, it's the punchline that is left untranslated during the rakugo scenes. :face-normal

WTF. I watched it on Crunchyroll and don't remember anything like that.

Offline CL3

• 我は空...
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #86 on: Today at 01:30:17 PM »
I don't remember this either. Then again I only half-look-at the subs. Skimming through episode one I found "Ajaraka mokuren kyuraisu tegeretsuno pa" which is not normal Japanese at all. It's some kind of rel.igious chant, probably. That's how I interpreted it anyway. Later on there's a "namu myoho renge kyo" and this one I'm sure of - this is a very famous buddhist chant/prayer thing. It even has a wikipedia article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namu_My%C5%8Dh%C5%8D_Renge_Ky%C5%8D. Hell it was even used in an Xzibit song.

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
« Reply #87 on: Today at 02:02:02 PM »
I don't remember this either. Then again I only half-look-at the subs. Skimming through episode one I found "Ajaraka mokuren kyuraisu tegeretsuno pa" which is not normal Japanese at all. It's some kind of rel.igious chant, probably. That's how I interpreted it anyway. Later on there's a "namu myoho renge kyo" and this one I'm sure of - this is a very famous buddhist chant/prayer thing. It even has a wikipedia article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namu_My%C5%8Dh%C5%8D_Renge_Ky%C5%8D. Hell it was even used in an Xzibit song.
Yeah, I thought it might be something like that. But they should've at least put a TL-note saying what it is, if they can't translate it in any sensible way. Especially since they already use TL-notes in other parts.

But, the first episode was pretty good. I can't imagine what the voice actors had to go through for this show. The burglar story genuinely cracked me up, some of the others went over my head, or maybe I was just busy getting pissed at aforementioned things. I'm interested to see where the story goes, and hopefully there's more of that than rakugo. :face-lol

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #88 on: Today at 02:12:39 PM »
Yeah, I thought it might be something like that. But they should've at least put a TL-note saying what it is, if they can't translate it in any sensible way. Especially since they already use TL-notes in other parts.

But, the first episode was pretty good. I can't imagine what the voice actors had to go through for this show. The burglar story genuinely cracked me up, some of the others went over my head, or maybe I was just busy getting pissed at aforementioned things. I'm interested to see where the story goes, and hopefully there's more of that than rakugo. :face-lol

I generally don't appreciate much the style of the older guy, he's too composed. I understand that's the whole point of his character (being elegant and cool and relying on that for his presentation) but I still am not a fan. I much prefer Sukeroku (the guy whose discs the thief dude was learning from, you will see him in later episodes). But that the show managed to to actually make me take sides on the question of which Rakugo style is more funny and effective is already a credit I must definitely give to it  :face-lol.

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
« Reply #89 on: Today at 04:08:19 PM »
I generally don't appreciate much the style of the older guy, he's too composed. I understand that's the whole point of his character (being elegant and cool and relying on that for his presentation) but I still am not a fan. I much prefer Sukeroku (the guy whose discs the thief dude was learning from, you will see him in later episodes). But that the show managed to to actually make me take sides on the question of which Rakugo style is more funny and effective is already a credit I must definitely give to it  :face-lol.
I'm all caught up now. :face-eek Nice to see an anime that takes itself seriously for change.

And yeah, gotta agree that Sukeroku and the new apprentice are funnier. Although, the old guy only had like one full rakugo story, and another one in the flashback that was intentionally bad. Maybe he'll do better in the future. Oh, and I hope the entire show isn't about the flashback. I'm more interested in Sukeroku's daughter and the new guy...