Author Topic: New movies Discussion !  (Read 291382 times)

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,016,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
Re: New movies Discussion !
« Reply #3150 on: December 10, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,714,000,000 -
  • Respect: +548
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
« Reply #3151 on: December 18, 2016, 02:01:23 PM »
So yesterday I watched "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them".

Summary: bumbling idiot with magical powers who's probably the worst animal carer ever arrives to New York and commits repeated felonies of property damage, break and enter and reckless endangerment while trying to remedy to the problems caused by his own incompetence, but somehow is lucky enough to not kill anyone in the process and happens to be there when an international criminal is caught so is the hero of the story even though in fact he basically did nothing useful at all.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,631,000,000 -
  • Respect: +271
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #3152 on: December 18, 2016, 02:34:34 PM »
So yesterday I watched "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them".

Summary: bumbling idiot with magical powers who's probably the worst animal carer ever arrives to New York and commits repeated felonies of property damage, break and enter and reckless endangerment while trying to remedy to the problems caused by his own incompetence, but somehow is lucky enough to not kill anyone in the process and happens to be there when an international criminal is caught so is the hero of the story even though in fact he basically did nothing useful at all.
I was going to make a counter argument to that but then when I stopped to think about I realized that this is in fact completely accurate...
This sure is a signature.

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #3153 on: December 18, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
I was going to make a counter argument to that but then when I stopped to think about I realized that this is in fact completely accurate...

On the other hand, the movie confirms the impression that all magical judiciary systems in the HP universe are utter piles of dogshit and that the spinoff we would really need would be a TV show about a magical lawyer trying to introduce revolutionary concepts like "fair trial", "presumption of innocence", "proportional justice" and "fucking noticing when some functionary who can issue instant death sentences has been replaced by a notorious international criminal".

Offline Decimator

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $2,109,000,000 -
« Reply #3154 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:37 AM »
+1

Yet another pointless sequel. :face-normal Mostly I'm worried about how they'll handle the Deckard ambiguity...

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #3155 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
Yet another pointless sequel. :face-normal Mostly I'm worried about how they'll handle the Deckard ambiguity...

I don't know about pointless, but Ridley Scott infamously claimed that Deckard is a replicant in his movie and since he's producing the sequel they'll either lean that way or state it explicitly.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline EamonX

• Man without honor
  • Bounty: $419,000,000 -
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3156 on: February 03, 2017, 01:58:03 AM »

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #3157 on: March 05, 2017, 12:17:45 AM »
So I saw Logan yesterday. Now I've been seeing a lot of praise for this movie. It's currently sitting at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, with the general consensus being that it is easily the best standalone Wolverine movie, not that that's really saying much...

...So am I the only one who kinda hated this movie? I mean, I can admit that for what it wanted to do, it did it well, but... certain things that the movie implied to have happened just rubbed me completely the wrong way.
(click to show/hide)

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #3158 on: March 05, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
So I saw Logan yesterday. Now I've been seeing a lot of praise for this movie. It's currently sitting at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, with the general consensus being that it is easily the best standalone Wolverine movie, not that that's really saying much...

...So am I the only one who kinda hated this movie? I mean, I can admit that for what it wanted to do, it did it well, but... certain things that the movie implied to have happened just rubbed me completely the wrong way.
(click to show/hide)

Sounds pretty bad. Although, from memory the comic on which Logan is based is supposed to be set in a post-apocalyptic world where the incestuous spawn of Hulk is the lord and ruler or something, so maybe the movie is better?

Here's a little something to look at while we think this over...

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
« Reply #3159 on: March 05, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
incestuous spawn of Hulk is the lord and ruler or something

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #3160 on: March 05, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »
Sounds pretty bad. Although, from memory the comic on which Logan is based is supposed to be set in a post-apocalyptic world where the incestuous spawn of Hulk is the lord and ruler or something, so maybe the movie is better?
So I hear. Although they couldn't really do a straight adaptation of Old Man Logan since it features so many characters Fox doesn't have the license to, so it's more just inspired by that story. But at least that one was an AU kinda thing. This though, is clearly meant to be in the same continuity as the other X-Men movies. Because remember, as convoluted as the timelines for the X-Men movies have been, they've never really gone full on "What if?" with them. Days of Future Past kinda wiped a lot of it out of existence, but even then it's still technically one big story. Albeit one filled with more holes than a swiss cheese.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #3161 on: March 06, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
At least now we can watch Legion.

It may be on TV, but it's pretty damn good.