Author Topic: Favourite movies discussion !  (Read 61228 times)

Offline Gan_HOPE326

• Yonkou
  • Bounty: $5,701,000,000 -
  • Respect: +546
    • Nerditis - Our passion is infectious
Re: Favourite movies discussion !
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »
The accompanying short was just dumb though. I mean, a hopeless romantic volcano who only wants "someone to lava"? UGH, that pun was so bad it gave me cancer.

Definitely  :face-rofl. I honestly thought that was just made because some of the modellers/animators wanted to flex their muscles and try their skills at the technical aspects of the scenery (lots of water, clouds and airflow, lava spurting, and so on).

About Frozen, I think it also was really a missed occasion because it would have taken so little to avoid that. They could have made the final conflict about Hans wanting to kill Elsa because he genuinely thought that was the only way to save the kingdom. In a "greater good" kind of perspective, and possibly being sad about it. That would have made it much more relatable. As it was, it was just an asspull (especially considering how many times Hans genuinely and heroically risked his life by that point, making it not very believable that he was pushed merely by egotistical motives). I suppose their main worry there was that they thought Anna would look like a bitch to ditch Hans for anything less than being an evil mastermind trying to maneuver his place into power. Which... sorta undermines the overall attempt at a feminist message of the movie, because there's a whole spectrum of reasons for a woman to decide she doesn't really want to marry a man milder than "he has the murderous heart of a jackal".

Offline fire_fist

• One Piece Manga Reader
  • Bounty: $923,000,000 -
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
saw this and was reminded of the pixar conversation going on here, so thought id share
(click to show/hide)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,445,000,000 -
  • Respect: +720
    • My Anime List
« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
I'm watching (being made to watch?) the Harry Potter movies for the first time. So far I've predicted pretty much every plot twist and found a few plot holes, the acting is really bad sometimes, the CG is pretty poor occasionally, the overall special effects are naturally going to be compared to the other high budget fantasy series of the time and of course it compares poorly, and overall its really formulaic. Yet somehow still vaguely interesting and I don't really know why. The third one was better than the first two in a few of these respects though the time travel really breaks things plot-wise.

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $1,014,000,000 -
  • Respect: +80
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
The third one was better than the first two in a few of these respects though the time travel really breaks things plot-wise.

Thank you!

Everyone keeps going on and on about how Azkaban was the best movie.
It may have been the best book, but I totally agree the time travel doesn't do the movie's pacing any favours.

Goblet of Fire (the 4th in the series) made the best movie IMHO. Then again it was the middle chapter, and middle chapters can make the best movies at times (e.g. Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Spider-Man 2, etc.)

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,621,000,000 -
  • Respect: +271
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #514 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
Thank you!

Everyone keeps going on and on about how Azkaban was the best movie.
It may have been the best book, but I totally agree the time travel doesn't do the movie's pacing any favours.

Goblet of Fire (the 4th in the series) made the best movie IMHO. Then again it was the middle chapter, and middle chapters can make the best movies at times (e.g. Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Spider-Man 2, etc.)
Best book, possibly best movie...
Completely awful adaptation though, what with them rushing through the first 15 chapters of the book in like 20 minutes, the Voldemort Sevant of the Week being stripped of practically all his character and getting reduced to a cackling madman, a semi-major character being found dead and then COMPLETELY forgotten after that... Honestly it's almost a miracle that Goblet of Fire could be as entertaining as it was, considering just how little sense it made. All the movies suffered from this to some extent, but the fourth and fifth had it worst by far.

...Also I have seriously mixed feelings on Azkaban. On one hand it was beautifully directed and had some absolutely fantastic atmosphere... but the plot was compressed so much that it barely made any sense at all. Also that was the worst designed werewolf I have ever seen.
This sure is a signature.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,445,000,000 -
  • Respect: +720
    • My Anime List
« Reply #515 on: July 07, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »
Oh yeah the werewolf was really derpy too, good point.  :face-rofl

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • If you think about it, everyone who wears glasses is essentially a Shinpachi cosplayer.
« Reply #516 on: July 08, 2016, 02:08:12 AM »
Honestly it's almost a miracle that Goblet of Fire could be as entertaining as it was, considering just how little sense it made. All the movies suffered from this to some extent, but the fourth and fifth had it worst by far.

All the Harry Potter movies seemed like scrap book versions of their source material. A bunch of separate scenes with little plot between them to make a cohesive story. IIRC, at least Goblet of Fire had a beginning (an indication of Voldemort's return at the World Magic Games or whatever it was called), a middle (Harry in the TriWizard Tournament) and an end (Voldemort's return at the end of the TriWizard Tournament). It felt the most movie-like by having a common theme/event throughout the entire film.

"These glasses make up 95% of you, Shinpachi. In fact, these are more Shinpachi than you. The leftover 3% is spit, 2% is garbage."

Offline HUNRonin

• Shichibukai
  • Bounty: $1,649,000,000 -
« Reply #517 on: July 08, 2016, 03:30:12 AM »
All the Harry Potter movies seemed like scrap book versions of their source material. A bunch of separate scenes with little plot between them to make a cohesive story. IIRC, at least Goblet of Fire had a beginning (an indication of Voldemort's return at the World Magic Games or whatever it was called), a middle (Harry in the TriWizard Tournament) and an end (Voldemort's return at the end of the TriWizard Tournament). It felt the most movie-like by having a common theme/event throughout the entire film.
Yeah, the films are just... not very good. 1-3 I think worked prety well, but that's only because thoses books were much shorter.
Chief of Reality Bending Research
If it dosen't exist, we'll make it. If it cannot exist IT ALLREADY DOES

Offline tdm

• Evil Sho-chan
  • Yibis Crewmate
« Reply #518 on: September 25, 2016, 02:55:09 AM »
Let's try some one line reviews of movies I've recently seen:

10 Cloverfield Lane: John Goodman plays the kind of creepy guy I've met on occasion. The acting makes this movie good.

Captain America Civil War: Really enjoyed this, more so than Winter Soldier or Ultron. Looking forward to more Marvel.

Ghostbusters: First half of the movie is for older kids but adults can enjoy it as well. Second half of movie is just for kids.

Hardcore Henry: It was difficult to see what was going on at times due to the first-person perspective gimmick they used.

Independence Day Resurgence: Dumb, boring action movie. It felt like filler with little new ideas added to the original.

Zootopia: A Disney movie that feels like a Pixar movie. Entertaining, enjoyable and fun without talking down to kids.