Author Topic: Pokémon  (Read 253793 times)

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
  • Bounty: $1,631,000,000 -
  • Respect: +271
    • My DeviantArt-page
Re: Pokémon
« Reply #2025 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:52 AM »
At the end of it all they GTSed the dead and Wonder Traded the trash... I did not get anything from them (unlike my sister, who successfully traded them a Ms. Stake for Crusher in the last stream) but I did get this very obviously not hacked thing here...

Shiny(At absolute best a roughly .2% chance)? Female(12,5% chance)? Hidden ability(At best, 80% chance I think)? Completely maxed out IVs(At most a ~3% chance)? Yup this is so legit you guys!!!!
Also clearly sent by a TFS fan. How could it not be.

EDIT: And here it is, the stream featuring the most epic battle they have ever had...

I don't think anyone could have asked for a more badass finale. This particular run might not have been as epic as their Soul Silver run was, but I doubt even the most douchy person could find much to object to in this stream.

...And speaking of Soul Silver, I cleared my Leaf Green Nuzlocke yesterday and have gotten started ever so slightly on Soul Silver myself. Though it'll still be a few days before ppls get to see that as I still have two more episodes of Leaf Green that must be uploaded first. But yeah, my "Clear every region from Kanto to Unova x2" challenge has officially entered its second stage.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:17:54 PM by Lord Starfish »
This sure is a signature.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
  • Bounty: $7,457,000,000 -
  • Respect: +720
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2026 on: February 13, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
...And speaking of Soul Silver, I cleared my Leaf Green Nuzlocke yesterday and have gotten started ever so slightly on Soul Silver myself. Though it'll still be a few days before ppls get to see that as I still have two more episodes of Leaf Green that must be uploaded first. But yeah, my "Clear every region from Kanto to Unova x2" challenge has officially entered its second stage.

Spoilerz!

It's been surprisingly fun to watch the Leaf Green LP. I think I'm (at least almost) up to date with it - the last thing I saw was you not catching a Ponyta despite it being quite likely. Not sure if I'll keep watching after this since I haven't played Soul Silver or any later games myself. Most of your LG LP at least was quite clearly aimed at people who already know a lot of stuff, at least what type gym is next and which pokemon are good and bad at different things, e.g. things like "Though I obviously won't be using THAT much in the next gym" - I know why a Magneton is useless in Cinnabar, but won't get equivalent statements about later gens so much. Maybe I can still remember small amounts of stuff about gens 2 and 3 since I did play them a very long time ago but nowhere near as much as 1.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:55:08 PM by CL3 »

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2027 on: February 13, 2017, 01:08:26 PM »
Spoilerz!

It's been surprisingly fun to watch the Leaf Green LP. I think I'm (at least almost) up to date with it - the last thing I saw was you not catching a Ponyta despite it being quite likely. Not sure if I'll keep watching after this since I haven't played Soul Silver or any later games myself. Most of your LG LP at least was quite clearly aimed at people who already know a lot of stuff, at least what type gym is next and which pokemon are good and bad at different things, e.g. things like "Though I obviously won't be using THAT much in the next gym" - I know why a Magneton is useless in Cinnabar, but won't get equivalent statements about later gens so much. Maybe I can still remember small amounts of stuff about gens 2 and 3 since I did play them a very long time ago but nowhere near as much as 1.

I wouldn't even say it's deliberately aimed at anyone in particular. I mean, all of my commentary is just me saying whatever comes to mind at any given time. Which often involves thinking out loud about how I'm gonna deal with upcoming challenges. Well, there might be a bit more thought put into stuff from here on out as my Soul Silver team already has a bit more character to it than my Leaf Green team did. I've kinda just accidentally settled on a naming convention for this run whereas LG was just... whatever comes to mind. I mean I started Soul Silver with just whatever came to mind as well, but by my third capture I realized that everything I had caught so far shared a common theme and was like "Okay, guess I'll be going with a ***** theme for my Pokémon this time then."

...But you totes should keep watching anyway. Why? Because the later games are sure to be super tense and epic!! I mean, Platinum is often considered to be hellishly difficult and I really have no idea how I actually managed to beat it last time (Well, Gyarados being a game breaker in gen 4 helps, but the sheer fact that Korra the Gyarados survived was kind of a miracle in itself), and Black? I mean I guess within the rules of this challenge I strictly speaking beat Black, but from where I'm standing that run was a failure. And I wiped three times before even making it to the final boss, whereas this time I won't have any such safety nets.
Also Ruby might not have a reputation for being super difficult, but I have never Nuzlocked Gen 3, and indeed, I haven't even played through that region all that much. Alpha Sapphire and that speedrun I did a few months back where I only used my starter and nothing else are the only times I've actually beaten the Hoenn region.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2028 on: February 13, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
I think it comes across as aimed at people familiar with the games precisely because you just say whatever comes to mind - as someone who's played all the games at least a couple of times in one form or another the stuff that automatically comes to your mind is obvious to you but not so obvious to noobs.

Meh, if I do keep watching I might just have to spam you with questions about wtf you are talking about or why you're doing something in particular.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2029 on: February 15, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »

My Soul Silver run begins! And once again the fist episode has audio issues but it's not as severe as last time, because this time the problem was that the game audio wasn't loud enough, rather than it being too loud. So it's more of a minor annoyance than anything. Also the first three minutes are spent repeating the rules.

And now for some spoilery comments about what actually happened...
(click to show/hide)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2030 on: February 15, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
And simultaneously we get an announcement that Pokemon Go is being updated with Gen 2 soon.

I have hardly played since summer, though when I'm walking somewhere and bored I do tend to catch a few things to kill time. It will be nice to see some new stuff.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2031 on: February 26, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
I feel a desperate need to post this particular video here for I feel a desperate need to talk about it...

(click to show/hide)

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2032 on: February 27, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about this LP for a while. I tried to watch the first episode at some point but got distracted and never picked it back up.

That said, this was my first time seeing the Gen 2 remakes. The 3D-ness of the buildings and stuff I find quite... jarring. Having a pokemon follow you on the map is super awesome though.

Congrats on the shiny.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2033 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
That said, this was my first time seeing the Gen 2 remakes. The 3D-ness of the buildings and stuff I find quite... jarring. Having a pokemon follow you on the map is super awesome though.
The really sad thing is that the walking Pokémon feature has never been seen again outside this game (and Yellow, I guess). Despite the fact that I think it's been on literally every list I've ever seen of "Pokémon features we want back".

As for the 3D-ness, I actually found it a bit jarring when I first saw it too... and I'm not even sure I ever really got used to it so much as just... it stopped looking so awkward when XY came out and they actually went full 3D rather than having 2D characters inhabiting a 3D world.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2034 on: February 27, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
Since you said that I looked up XY on youtube and it looks a lot less bad once everything is 3D instead of the "Mode 7" like weird 2D projection to 3D.

That said it just looks like a completely different game by that point. Not sure how well I could get used to the full 3D games. It sort of feels like it's lost some of the nostalgia and simplicity.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2035 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »
Oh and also, I noticed you hadn't been watching this series. How? Because I haven't gotten a single Facebook-message from cala complaining about how I'm too good at the game ever since I started Soul Silver!

...Honestly even I feel like I've been doing too well on this game. It took nine episodes before something died. I had four badges already before suffering my first casualty. And I've only had three in total. Though two of those three deaths have been pretty major blows and I don't think I'll ever really get a proper replacement for Gideon the Koffing because his sheer viability was something else. Huge movepool he could learn + only one weakness namely Psychic... He was awesome.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2036 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Once again I feel like plugging my videos here. No shiny catches this time though, just an epic battle of epicness...

And in hindsight... Past Me, Tentacool isn't a squid, it's a jellyfish! Sheesh...

Also to post something that isn't my own content...

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2037 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
Oh and also, I noticed you hadn't been watching this series. How? Because I haven't gotten a single Facebook-message from cala complaining about how I'm too good at the game ever since I started Soul Silver!

We might still catch up some day. At which point you can look forward to more messages complaining that not enough stuff dies. Bonus points for the fact that if this happens it will be weeks/months after you actually played the part we complain about and you probably won't remember exactly what is being referred to.

I might also actually play HG or SS myself in the not too distant future, and might even try doing a Nuzlocke if I feel adventurous at the time. I don't remember much about Gen 2 for now (ie : what gym types there are or what order they are in for the most part) as I haven't played anything since GSC as a kid, so it would be semi-blind. If this happens I'll probably watch this LP semi-concurrently or just after I play through and compare stuff.

Offline Lord Starfish

• The Translatorinator!!
    • My DeviantArt-page
« Reply #2038 on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
We might still catch up some day. At which point you can look forward to more messages complaining that not enough stuff dies. Bonus points for the fact that if this happens it will be weeks/months after you actually played the part we complain about and you probably won't remember exactly what is being referred to.

I might also actually play HG or SS myself in the not too distant future, and might even try doing a Nuzlocke if I feel adventurous at the time. I don't remember much about Gen 2 for now (ie : what gym types there are or what order they are in for the most part) as I haven't played anything since GSC as a kid, so it would be semi-blind. If this happens I'll probably watch this LP semi-concurrently or just after I play through and compare stuff.
Semi-blind... Incidentally my initial Fire Red run and my first Soul Silver runs were kinda like that too. I don't think I'd ever actually completed the gen 1 or 2 games before I did those runs. Which might also explain the absurdly high death-counts in those runs... Then again the Adventures of Vegy the Whateverth were always plagued by constant deaths. My Moon run which I have not written about here though I did post logs about it on the Nuzlocke forums, was the first time I had less than half my Pokémon die on me.

Also, I'm sure that if you guys do catch up, cala will complain at me for continuously forgetting to go "omae wa mou shindeiru" after beating a Gym leader. I was going to do it after the Ghost type leader... but that battle actually turned out to be kind of tense and so I completely forgot about it in the relief of, well, not losing my entire team.

Offline CL3

• Chancellor of Niflheim
  • Yibis Crewmate
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2039 on: March 02, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
You should totally name something strong in your team Kenshiro so you have an excuse to remember the omae wa mou shindeiru.